MBox 2 Problems

philbagg

Just Killing Time
I'm having problems with my mbox 2. I used to be able to use it with Pro Tools, and as a soundcard for OSX without any problems. Lately, with both OSX and PT, it works for a few seconds, and then out of nowhere the "Mic" lights on the input panels at the front will display red, while the USB light will stay lit green.

The result in OSX means that it just won't output any audio. And the result in Pro Tools (more importantly), is that Pro tools will run, open sessions just fine, but whenever I try to play back the session, I get this error message:

Problem detected with audio clock. Check that your clock source and sample rate are correct.

The clock source in "Hardware" is set to internal, as usual. And the sample rate is set to 44.1kHz, as is the session.

I've tried running the session on both the internal drive, and an external firewire drive - formatted Mac OS Extented (Journaled) - with the same problem.

I've been using Pro Tools on both XP and OSX for about 18 months now and this is the first time I've ever experienced this problem. Any help at all would be appreciated.

What version of PT?
MBOX 2 Factory, standard or mini?

Its been seen a lot of the latest windows 7 drivers for PT 8.0.3, I know your not running it but some people think its related to having the mbox connected during the upgrade to 8.0.3.
Id try reinstalling 8.0.3 without mbox connected or even drasticaly go back to 8.0.1 and upgrade again.
Thats what I would try. I had trouble wiht mbox sound on 8.0.3 until i did that.

Also what drive are you writing your music too? should be a firewire external or internal (separate disk than the OS disk) From looking on the DUC im seeing a lot of people having this issue because theyre not writing to a separate qualified disk.

Sounds to me like a USB problem...

What other USB devices do you have connected to the system? Try removing everything except for your keyboard, mouse and Mbox. Does that work?

My other thought is the USB cable which you're using. Have you changed it recently? Do you have another one you can try?

Let us know how you get on.

Twas a USB cable causing it.

Funny enough, I bought that cable (monster - €30) so that my MBox would stop giving me problems with noise :rolleyes:

mbox2 recording problems

We have just got a 2nd hand mbox2 and having problems recording the vocals.
There is a distortion that happens when recording vocal and it is there on playback.We have tried changing buffer size, cables, different mics and leads, how close I am to the mic but nothing is making a difference.. any suggestions please ........

Hi Susan.
Is your mbox gain too high?

There's a point in your signal path called an analog to digital converter.
It's after your mic and gain, but before your recording software.
If your signal is too loud at this point, it will just distort and the distortion is permanent. No amount of turning down in your software will help.

There should be a little clip LED on your mbox. Make sure it never lights up.
Also, you can look at the meters in your recording software for guidance.

Open a new session and don't adjust the faders.
Don't add any volume altering effects either (compression etc), then watch the meter as you record.

Aim to keep your peaks well clear of the red.

PS: You've bumped a tread from 2010. You'd probably get more results fro starting a new thread in future.

Back