mastering suggestions

metalj

Hello, I have been recently learning pro tools. I am at the stage where I am comfortable recording as well as mixing and adding effects.

I was wondering what the next step you would suggest for mastering my mixes?

Is there software or do I need hardware. Im sure there is both, but for doing some Great home studio recording what can I get that is affordable that will make a great sounding CD without breaking the bank too far?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I am running Pro Tools LE
Mac Pro
OS LIon
Intel 8 core
Gobs of RAM

Mastering is more of a mindset than a specific set of tools.

In order to do a good job, it would help to be listening on high end speakers (preferably different ones than the ones you mixed on) in a treated room. This is because you need to be able to hear it differently than when you mixed it.

As far as tools go, a compressor, brick wall limiter and an EQ it pretty much all you need for processing. You should also get something like wavelab or CD archetect to compile the tracks and burn the master.

Mastering is more of a mindset than a specific set of tools.

In order to do a good job, it would help to be listening on high end speakers (preferably different ones than the ones you mixed on) in a treated room. This is because you need to be able to hear it differently than when you mixed it.

As far as tools go, a compressor, brick wall limiter and an EQ it pretty much all you need for processing. You should also get something like wavelab or CD archetect to compile the tracks and burn the master.

You should definitely give 'Izotope Ozone' a try it has a tonne of mastering tools for your mix. You should also check out Waves plugins for pro tools they are pretty good overall. As Farview said the basics such as compressors, EQ etc. are all things you should experiment with first.

Farview has it. You may not always need them, and sometimes you may reach for other tools, but eqs, compressors and limiters will probably be the main tools you'll want to use.

Software like ozone can be great I suppose, but be careful.
Most of the presets are overkill, and the main point of mastering is to listen to each piece and decide what you think it needs.
It may need nothing, but to me the idea of using a preset is not a good one.

I'm no mastering engineer, but in my opinion the listening environment is much more critical than the tools used.

I'd rather hear exactly what's happening and use digidesign stock plugs than have all the hardware in the world in a bad sounding room.

Farview has it. You may not always need them, and sometimes you may reach for other tools, but eqs, compressors and limiters will probably be the main tools you'll want to use.

Software like ozone can be great I suppose, but be careful.
Most of the presets are overkill, and the main point of mastering is to listen to each piece and decide what you think it needs.
It may need nothing, but to me the idea of using a preset is not a good one.

I'm no mastering engineer, but in my opinion the listening environment is much more critical than the tools used.

I'd rather hear exactly what's happening and use digidesign stock plugs than have all the hardware in the world in a bad sounding room.

+1 I,m pretty sure Ozone has a nice little mastering guide that comes with the plugin. I like how Ozone is laid out tho. Pretty user friendly plugin. I am not however a huge fan of how it sounds tho. There is something weird going on there. But, its a great and fun way to get started with messing around with mastering. at least to the point you realize a pro should do it. :)

Back