Looking to Buy Pro Tools

tddrummer

I heard that if you really want to make great music than you need Pro Tools...while I know this may not be true I've looked into it a little and heard about it a lot. I was just wondering if there is a cheaper version with quality, or most of all what program would you prefer?

Well I am a Pro Tools user and I will be VERY honest with you, if you are trying to stay AS CHEAP AS POSSIBLE... Pro Tools is not going to comply too much. Digidesign is the pickiest group of people out there when it comes to using their products (digidesign hardware to run the software, iLoks, upgrades, EXPENSIVE!, etc...) BUT if you don't mind spending some money, I think, YOU will LOVE it. I've tried many programs and none are as extensive and as powerful WHILE BEING as simple as Pro Tools is. Cubase and Sonar are great, BUT... they are way too darn complicated (for me atleast). Pro Tools is very straight forward and I guess there are reasons they are so picky and sometimes overpriced (think of it like Gibson Guitars) its QUALITY STUFF! And the industry is mostly setup with this stuff... so it's a good choice if you really want to get into something serious and can spend a bit of money. I would start out with one of the small m-audio firewire interfaces and get Pro Tools M-Powered. Thats the cheapest way to go and it's great quality still.

I heard that if you really want to make great music than you need Pro Tools

if you believe that, don't buy Pro Tools. There is no program that will give you better recordings or make you instantly a hit musician. Every program, at it's core, is basically the same thing. They allow you to record, edit and mix your audio. That's it. That's all that is important. A great engineer can get the same exact results with Pro Tools that he can get with Reaper. He just does things in different ways. Do your research. Figure out your needs and find something that will fit those needs for you.

if you believe that, don't buy Pro Tools. There is no program that will give you better recordings or make you instantly a hit musician. Every program, at it's core, is basically the same thing. They allow you to record, edit and mix your audio.

Very true, thanks for pickin that up bennycicho11:D

if you believe that, don't buy Pro Tools. There is no program that will give you better recordings or make you instantly a hit musician. Every program, at it's core, is basically the same thing. They allow you to record, edit and mix your audio. That's it. That's all that is important. A great engineer can get the same exact results with Pro Tools that he can get with Reaper. He just does things in different ways. Do your research. Figure out your needs and find something that will fit those needs for you.
Plus, Reaper is better :-). Mostly it just boils down to cost and features. You have access to a lot more plug-ins, especially free ones, with software like Reaper that can use VST, but you don't have access to the Pro Tools-specific RTAS format plug-ins. The bigger issue, I suppose, is whether or not you'll be needing to send it out somewhere else. Most pro studios use Pro Tools, I'm told, so you'd want Pro Tools in that case. Reaper lets you have access to a lot more hardware options, though, and it ends up being a lot cheaper.

Don't get me wrong though, Pro Tools is a good program. I just hate getting locked into things.

lol, you're in the wrong forum I think bigcheese, we all like pro tools here :)

NB: You are probably on point with your comments, but I've no reason to switch. Don't need more hardware options, my 002 (soon to black lion modded) is just fine, pro tools can use vst plugins and therefore have access to all the same free plugins

http://www.sweetwater.com/expert-center/techtips/d--06/23/2004

http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=5&tab=22

Plus all the studios I go to use PT so I can open up my sessions there and keep all my automation, plugins etc without having to export to wav to be able to use.

But hey, i'm sure reaper is good too :)

I think a lot of the Reaper kids have become just as annoying as the kids who push Pro Tools all the time. They're starting to get full of themselves.

lol, you're in the wrong forum I think bigcheese, we all like pro tools here :)

NB: You are probably on point with your comments, but I've no reason to switch. Don't need more hardware options, my 002 (soon to black lion modded) is just fine, pro tools can use vst plugins and therefore have access to all the same free plugins

http://www.sweetwater.com/expert-center/techtips/d--06/23/2004

http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=5&tab=22

Plus all the studios I go to use PT so I can open up my sessions there and keep all my automation, plugins etc without having to export to wav to be able to use.

But hey, i'm sure reaper is good too :)
Yeah, but you have to buy the wrapper, which means it costs even more money... I was just sayin', as long as he's just starting out, he shouldn't get trapped in the Pro Tools camp already.

If you're like me, you don't work with studios anyway because you're a poor college student and you only use your stuff to record your own band, anyway... So my points don't apply to everyone.

I think a lot of the Reaper kids have become just as annoying as the kids who push Pro Tools all the time. They're starting to get full of themselves.

I agree.

Wait, what?

If I'm honest, I can't think of one good reason for someone dipping their toe in the recording water to buy into a cut-down PT platform rather than getting Reaper. So sue me! :)

$99US is hardly breaking the bank for the vst wrapper

Seriously falling on deaf ears, I like pro tools, shall we start a thread debating that? I would really love to spend time debating that back and forth...i've never seen such a thread before.

Originally posted by bennychico11

There is no program that will give you better recordings or make you instantly a hit musician. Every program, at it's core, is basically the same thing. They allow you to record, edit and mix your audio. That's it. That's all that is important. A great engineer can get the same exact results with Pro Tools that he can get with Reaper. He just does things in different ways. Do your research. Figure out your needs and find something that will fit those needs for you.

summed it up pretty well. Why are PT users happy to tell people to use what ever they like, but other daw users feel the need to validate their own choice of software by telling everyone how good it is?

I dont know anything about pro tools because i dont use it however when I bought my M audio fast track it came with a Pro tools M powered 7 however I didnt have enough RAM or whatever it is to install it...I think it needs at least 512 MB and I only have 256 MB...anyway I was wondering is that recording software that came with the m audio product or is it just an add on of some type that works with the m audio interface.

Says here the program costs $299 however i received a pro tool 7 CD with the M Audio fast track
http://www.m-audio.ca/products/en_ca/ProToolsMPowered7-main.html

Didnt mean to take thread of topic however I was wondering what I have and what its used for...thanks

I dont know anything about pro tools because i dont use it however when I bought my M audio fast track it came with a Pro tools M powered 7 however I didnt have enough RAM or whatever it is to install it...I think it needs at least 512 MB and I only have 256 MB...anyway I was wondering is that recording software that came with the m audio product or is it just an add on of some type that works with the m audio interface.

Says here the program costs $299 however i received a pro tool 7 CD with the M Audio fast track
http://www.m-audio.ca/products/en_ca/ProToolsMPowered7-main.html

Didnt mean to take thread of topic however I was wondering what I have and what its used for...thanks

my guess is that CD was just the demo version of MPowered
and yes, you still need M-Audio hardware to run Pro Tools M-Powered

Why are PT users happy to tell people to use what ever they like, but other daw users feel the need to validate their own choice of software by telling everyone how good it is?

Why are Pro Tools users so happy to insult our choice of a different DAW? I said Pro Tools was an equally good piece of software if you have the money. $99 for the wrapper after you've already paid for the stuff, especially an HD rig, is a lot of money (it cost me $250 to get set up with Reaper and about the same to get set up with M-Powered, but the hardware I have for Reaper is much better). Like noisedude said, we tell people about it because they don't know about it yet. Pro Tools is the only thing anyone ever hears about.

EDIT: I suppose that for Reaper, you kind of also need Windows for now. I also got good deals on everything ($200 for an Aardvark Q10, Pro Tools at academic discount...), so you might end up paying just as much for Reaper. The main reason I switched was because if I want to link together multiple cards, I would have to upgrade to an HD rig, which would mean I'd have to switch up my hardware, too. So you're limited to 8 inputs with the cheaper versions of Pro Tools, which is pretty lame to me. Otherwise, I'd have stuck with Pro Tools.

Last edited:
I thought 8 inputs was the most any of their interfaces have (M-Audio, anyway)? I know that I looked up whether or not I could link together multiple interfaces and it doesn't let you.

Back