Looking to Buy Pro Tools

Well, my point was that you have to upgrade to HD for that, which costs more money because you have to buy a different version of Pro Tools AND you have to buy more hardware, whereas I could just buy another of the same hardware and link them together without buying new software. It's strange to me that M-Audio makes linkable hardware, but won't let you use that with their version of Pro Tools...

And you're right, they have 10 (I have the 1010LT), but 2 are the digital thingies or whatever, which I don't use because I don't know what you'd use them for. The 2626 looks pretty nice, actually. I'd love to get my hands on a couple of those, then I could use them with my laptop, too...

Anyway, the point is, tddrummer, figure out what works best for you and your price range. Reaper also comes with some nice plug-ins that you'd have to pay for to get in Pro Tools (like ReaTune, etc). But Pro Tools is more universal. Both are good, both have their downsides.

I think it really ALL BOILS DOWN TO YOUR PREFERENCE. I disagree with ASKING other people which is best, b/c alot of people like different things. I like pro tools b/c TO ME... it's simple and easy to use and i think that it is quality. YOU may not think so and thats ok. Best thing to do... TRY THEM! :)

I think it really ALL BOILS DOWN TO YOUR PREFERENCE. I disagree with ASKING other people which is best, b/c alot of people like different things. I like pro tools b/c TO ME... it's simple and easy to use and i think that it is quality. YOU may not think so and thats ok. Best thing to do... TRY THEM! :)
Agreed. Except maybe with less caps lock :P.

This is just the thing though - no-one is saying Pro Tools isn't quality or even that it's particularly difficult to use, just that there are other quality products that may in fact be better value and easier to use.

As a Reaper 'convert' I am not threatened by its limitations or the strengths of other packages. After all, I have spent much more time using Pro Tools than I have Reaper! I find it really weird why people get so upset about these opinions though.

Oh I don't either, thats what I'm saying, don't down other products just b/c of what you HEARD.... go try those products. It's the same way with recording in general... people want to know the best way to EQ something... well thats up to you; what do you want it to sound like? It's the same thing, just go give 'em a shot (if you can..) and see what you like. All I am sayin is that I like pro tools.. and you may not-thats more than ok if so ;)

Well, my point was that you have to upgrade to HD for that, which costs more money because you have to buy a different version of Pro Tools AND you have to buy more hardware, whereas I could just buy another of the same hardware and link them together without buying new software. It's strange to me that M-Audio makes linkable hardware, but won't let you use that with their version of Pro Tools...

And you're right, they have 10 (I have the 1010LT), but 2 are the digital thingies or whatever, which I don't use because I don't know what you'd use them for. The 2626 looks pretty nice, actually. I'd love to get my hands on a couple of those, then I could use them with my laptop, too...

Anyway, the point is, tddrummer, figure out what works best for you and your price range. Reaper also comes with some nice plug-ins that you'd have to pay for to get in Pro Tools (like ReaTune, etc). But Pro Tools is more universal. Both are good, both have their downsides.

actually you dont have to upgrade to HD to have multiple interfaces, you can have LE or M-powered, you just have to run it on a mac, as mac's have the ability to run multiple interfaces, whereas windows based pc's dont.

as long as you have an MBOX for LE or a piece of M-audio hardware for M-powered, you can add another and it will add the additional inputs to the I/O setup

actually you dont have to upgrade to HD to have multiple interfaces, you can have LE or M-powered, you just have to run it on a mac, as mac's have the ability to run multiple interfaces, whereas windows based pc's dont.

as long as you have an MBOX for LE or a piece of M-audio hardware for M-powered, you can add another and it will add the additional inputs to the I/O setup

That's actually totally wrong :)

You can only use 1 interface with PT, be it LE or MP, as far as I'm aware..

you just have to run it on a mac, as mac's have the ability to run multiple interfaces, whereas windows based pc's dont.

I run 2 interfaces at the moment on a PC, no idea what your talking about.

wreckd504 said:
I actually totally agree

I've got 2 002's linked at the moment?

so you can run multiple interfaces with PT LE? Like 2x 002?

WOW!

I had no idea.

I retract my previous comment - apologies for any confusion :)

so you can run multiple interfaces with PT LE? Like 2x 002?

WOW!

I had no idea.

I retract my previous comment - apologies for any confusion :)

that's why I asked how he's doing it. Because it's news to me too...unless he jerry-rigged it somehow using Rewire, or with two computers using MTC, etc. I've heard of people doing that. I just haven't heard of anyone daisy chaining or just plugging in two 002s for 36 inputs.

Last edited:
I don't understand what all the commotion is about other options being cheaper then Pro Tools.

I bought my used DIGI 001 rig on e-bay, in the box with all the original parts, documentation and software for $100.

Sure it isn't HD, but for someone just starting to get into it? Sounds pretty cost-effective to me.

-Kev

I bought my used DIGI 001 rig on e-bay, in the box with all the original parts, documentation and software for $100.

Sure it isn't HD, but for someone just starting to get into it? Sounds pretty cost-effective to me.

Congrats on your buy :) Hope you're happy with your rig...

however, the 001 is a fairly old piece of gear now and althought it's still a great piece of kit it's no longer supported by Digi. I think you're stuck at 6.4 with the 001, which means you're stuck at OSx 10.3 (if memory serves right).

Compared to similar performance interfaced, Digi do tend to be on the pricey side!

It is stuck at 6.4, but it is everything I need for my purposes...
And likely for anyone else just starting out with computer recording software and hardware.

-K

All DAW's are pretty much the same as far as sound. This has been tested many times. There is a very cool site that has a comparison from PT to Nuendo to Radar( Radar wins hands down). Here is link

http://www.recordproduction.com/mpg-event-june05.html

It all boils down to what you feel better using. I prefer Sonar. Now, a good point was made that if you intend on going to different studios, most have PT and yes you can continue your projects there and maintain all automation etc. PT is expensive. Limits to to 32 tracks unless you buy the bigger setups. I believe less plugins with cheaper PT like Mbox. But... for like 300-400 bucks you can buy an Mbox,2 inputs and be on your way. Making music has NOTHING to do with recording format!

Back