Latency issues in Pro Tools

Schwarzenyaeger

Formerly "Dog-In-Door"
If try to record my guitar into Pro Tools, it plays me the signal back with an audible delay (regardless of using an amp sim or the dry signal). I can open Pod Farm next to Pro Tools and arm a track and I can clearly hear the signal from Pro Tools come out of my speaker before the one from PT. I've tried every buffer setting but the outcome is the same every time.

Pro Tools says that the plug-ins are creating a total of 4ms of delay but it sounds more like 100-200.
Furthermore, PT is apparently only using about 18% of my CPU and 27% of my memory when playing back so it's not wrecking my system either.

What gives?

If try to record my guitar into Pro Tools, it plays me the signal back with an audible delay (regardless of using an amp sim or the dry signal). I can open Pod Farm next to Pro Tools and arm a track and I can clearly hear the signal from Pro Tools come out of my speaker before the one from PT. I've tried every buffer setting but the outcome is the same every time.

Pro Tools says that the plug-ins are creating a total of 4ms of delay but it sounds more like 100-200.
Furthermore, PT is apparently only using about 18% of my CPU and 27% of my memory when playing back so it's not wrecking my system either.

What gives?

Do you have any plugins inline which would introduce delay? You can check delay per track by holding one of the modifiers and clicking the numerical value at the bottom of the fader.
It should cycle peak peak amplitude, delay amount and something else.

Check the master and any aux tracks too incase you have delay introducing effects on either of those.

Low latency mode, mentioned above, would automatically bypass such effects, I think.

I literally have no plug ins running and have delay. Peak is at "4" for that track and "0" for the others.
Low latency is "Delay compensation mode"? I have that turned on already.

edit: I can trigger a 2052ms delay by adding Eleven Rig.

The delay definitely doesn't sound THAT long.

Low latency is "Delay compensation mode"? I have that turned on already.

edit: I can trigger a 2052ms delay by adding Eleven Rig.

No, delay compensation is the opposite.
It makes every track as late as the latest track, if that makes sense.

So, if you have 10 tracks and one of them has eleven rig on it, all other tracks will be delayed by 2052 so your playback works perfectly.

I didn't think delay compensation would affect input monitoring, but turn it off to make sure.

You on a mac, bro? Type low into the help search. (The PT one, not spotlight).
I can't remember offhand where it is, but it's in those menus somewhere.

Are you using any aux channels.
I've had inexplicable delay from using aux's before. Pissed me right off!

Yeah, that's it.
I just did a bit of looking into this.
Low latency monitoring mode, apparently, just mutes record armed tracks automatically so that you can use hardware monitoring on your interface without a clash. I didn't realise that.

The only way I could intentionally get an audible delay was to stack a load of comps inline on a track, or turn buffer size up to 1024.

Even when I set up a track with loads of plugin delay and turned on ADC, my record armed track was still without latency.

Did this just start suddenly or has it always been an issue?
PT10 or 11?
If you create a brand new session and create one single mono audio track, routed to main outs 1+2, do you have the same problem?

To be clear, we're talking about clean guitar without any amp sim or anything?

Did this just start suddenly or has it always been an issue?
PT10 or 11?
If you create a brand new session and create one single mono audio track, routed to main outs 1+2, do you have the same problem?

To be clear, we're talking about clean guitar without any amp sim or anything?

We are talking about a single mono track with the an un sim'd guitar.

Back