I've broken my iLok for Pro Tools 9 :(

rbnalv7

So yeah I've accidentally snapped the iLok key so I can't use Pro Tools 9 anymore. I'm happy with carrying on with Pro Tools 9 to be honest. Also, when i first got pro tools i was 13 so i cant remember any of my iLok account details. I've made a new iLok account now with details i can remember. How do i get a license and apply it to a new iLok??? This is frustrating!

So yeah I've accidentally snapped the iLok key so I can't use Pro Tools 9 anymore. I'm happy with carrying on with Pro Tools 9 to be honest. Also, when i first got pro tools i was 13 so i cant remember any of my iLok account details. I've made a new iLok account now with details i can remember. How do i get a license and apply it to a new iLok??? This is frustrating!

Hi,

You'll be able to find your ilok user ID from avid - At some time they will have put the license in your ilok account so they will have a record of that.
Once you've got that you can have ilok reissue your password to gain access to the ilok account.

That said, it doesn't really help you. The license you own is on a broken ilok so you can't move it anywhere.
You'd need to contact ilok (once you have your credentials) and tell them what happened.

I don't know if they charge for the service or not, but I know they will issue the license to a new ilok if they are satisfied that the original license was legit and the broken device has been surrendered.

If you physically broke the thing, I'm guessing you cracked/snapped the USB connector off? That would mean it's probably repairable. There's only 4 pins in those things.
If that's the case and it was my ilok, I'd repair it myself, move the licence off the ilok, and buy a new key. That might be no use to you but I thought I'd mention it.

Hi,

You'll be able to find your ilok user ID from avid - At some time they will have put the license in your ilok account so they will have a record of that.
Once you've got that you can have ilok reissue your password to gain access to the ilok account.

That said, it doesn't really help you. The license you own is on a broken ilok so you can't move it anywhere.
You'd need to contact ilok (once you have your credentials) and tell them what happened.

I don't know if they charge for the service or not, but I know they will issue the license to a new ilok if they are satisfied that the original license was legit and the broken device has been surrendered.

If you physically broke the thing, I'm guessing you cracked/snapped the USB connector off? That would mean it's probably repairable. There's only 4 pins in those things.
If that's the case and it was my ilok, I'd repair it myself, move the licence off the ilok, and buy a new key. That might be no use to you but I thought I'd mention it.

thankyou! Yes it has snapped so the usb part has come off, sliding off of the 4 pins. how can i repair it?

If you're asking I'd say don't try to repair it yourself, but it could certainly be done assuming there's no further damage.

Do you know anyone with good tech knowledge or soldering skills? It'd be pretty easy to bare the wires on an old USB cable and tack them on to the contact points on the dongle.
I wouldn't bother trying to repair or use the original socket because it'd probably break off again under the stress of plugging in, but soldering on a lead as above would probably do the job and let you retrieve your license.

Haha! Seems like that little device is pretty crucial then. Hope the op gets his fixed.

Yeah, just for fun, I took my ilok out of the computer and tried to load up PT. Hah! Didn't work at all.:D

lol. Just to be sure... ;)

To save you the trouble, if you launch PT with the ilok in then remove it, it'll prompt you to save and quit after a short time.

Back