Impressed with PT10.

Dags

Hi folks.
I know that these forums usually contain threads describing problems people are having with new software installations so I thought I'd throw a quick positive thread into the mix :)

Just received my purchase of Protools10 and my first surprise was that it came with a new iLokv2 containing the licence. Beauty! All my licences from my iLok1 are now loaded onto this larger capacity device which is also much slimmer than the original blue iLok so it can sit in my hub and allow another USB stick to sit beside it.

The second surprise was that Avid sent me download licences for two free plugins (which may or may not get used in any of my sessions) after registering the new product.

I had previously trialled PT10 using the free 30 day version so I could ensure it would happily recognise my MOTU interfaces so I have now ditched the noisy MBox2 USB interface. Huzzah!

My old PT8 sessions load up without any problems, so its backwards-compatible without any messy translation processes.

I'm a die-hard Logic user from the MIDI days of C-Lab Notator on the Atari and only had PT7 and 8 installed as a means of transferring recording sessions from other PT studios to my home environment.
I don't think I'm going to be totally converted (at least not straight away) but I know that not having to put up with the 32bit Bridge in Logic (which closes down the plugin's GUI every time you open up another plugin window) and being able to use the very useful PT downward expander in mixes without having to monitor through the shitty MBox will be a real joy.
Now that I can use my MOTU interfaces with PT10, I'm really considering using this software for my next mix project to really give it a good test.
...Just gotta find me a next project! ;)

That's the end of my happy rant.
Merry Christmas to everyone, and I hope you get time to yourselves to work on some interesting projects over the holidays.

Dags

They've added a number of nice features (clip gain, plugin delay compensation etc.)...all of which every other DAW has had for the better part of a decade. And the soloing is still moronic. Try to solo a reverb return or subgroup. The people at Avid still can't get their collective head around the idea that proper soloing requires a dedicated solo bus and the associated logic. Simply muting "everything but" does not even come close to qualifying as soloing. The solo safe function doesn't make the soloing work correctly.

Pro Tools routing is still as flexible and clumsy as ever. One time I demoed Sony Vegas for a Pro Tools user and blew his mind when I created a submix bus and sends were automatically added to every channel, all properly assigned. In one click I did in Vegas what takes dozens of clicks to do in PT. I get way more done in Vegas in a session and the only tradeoff is that some routing options are not possible, few of which I would ever use anyway.

Track view is where I do my tracking. But the meters in track view aren't marked. The ones in mixer view are marked even though recorded track levels are already fixed by the time you're mixing and the precise numbers matter less.

But obviously you can do good work on PT. The things that bug me may not be a big deal to others.

Nice to see someone bigging up vegas.
I started on vegas then moved to ProTools.
As much as I'm 'at home' now, I still feel vegas was quicker, simpler, and nicer to use.

Protools probably has a lot of features over vegas, for my use anyway, but still, the simple things in PT are the things that really bug me.

Like you say, soloing : That especially pisses me off.

Hmm......maybe I will stick to Logic pro as my main mixing system after all and keep PT10 for compiling & transfer to and from bigger studios.

I hadn't realised - or forgotten - that there were these issues - I haven't used it for a complete mix since 2008!

Dags

Back