i am in need of major help

KylMac55

I recently upgraded my studio
I purchase a new iMac
It runs OSx 10.7.3 with 2.7 GHz processor with 4GB memory
Along with the computer I purchased the Mbox 3 pro and pro tools 10

I have had nothing but problems since the day I set this up. I have been on the phone with support so often that they cut me off even though they knew they didn't solve the problems

One of the main problems I have, that I am trying to work on today, is the midi. When I first open a session and I am just playing notes everything is fine. The minute I press play the notes are no longer recognized the way they are being played. I either get one long note that just continues until i change the sound on my virtual synth, or I will get notes as I lift my finger from the keyboard instead of pressing down.

I have tried every single way to set up midi, using the midi beat clock and the peripherals.
I am at a loss and don't even know where to look to solve this problem. I am not a real tech head but I have managed to use computer based recording for years and have always been able to solve a problem

I am hoping one of you have some idea of how I can fix this. It is frustrating me to the point of wanting to buy new equipment, which I cannot afford and shouldn't need
so any advice would be greatly appriciated
thanks in advance
Bob

Any input, be it midi, or audio, shouldn't register while the session is playing.

You should be able to play and hear your input in stopped mode, or as you are recording, but not while the session is playing.

Any input, be it midi, or audio, shouldn't register while the session is playing.

You should be able to play and hear your input in stopped mode, or as you are recording, but not while the session is playing.

then how could you ever record a midi track if you can't hear it while playing?

Because playing the session and recording to the session are two different things.

Re-read my post.
but that's not true. i have run pro tools 6 for the past 7 years and have always done it. but this is a problem that even doesn't allow me to use the midi in record mode anyway.
i have always played along with the song in order to figure out parts. i only use virtual synths and there is no way i could create a part without being to hear the session as i figure out the part. however i tried to put it into record just to see if that made a difference and it didn't
since it was a new purchase i had tech support working on it until they basically gave up. at a certain point they told me i would have to start paying for tech support. i found it very unfair for the simple reason that they couldn't even fix the problem and they just cut me lose instead of finding a solutuon
if i had to do it all over again i would never buy an avid interface. now that pro tools can run with any brand interface i would want to use one of them. and that's only because of this horrible experience

Ok, my mistake.
What i meant to say is your track needs to be in record arm mode, whether you're recording or not.
With record arm off, your midi input wont be processed.

Here's what you need to do.

Set up an instrument track.
Put a virtual instrument on it.
In the mix window, look to the very top of that track for midi input.
Set that to 'motu 828 - all ports' (or whatever interface you have)
Plug your keyboard midi out into the interface midi in
Record arm the instrument track
Play the keys.

If the midi options aren't showing you'll have them hidden. Fix this with the drop down menu at the bottom left of the mix window.

Forget about peripherals etc. You shouldn't need to set anything up in there for basic midi input.

Back