How do i sync tape with PT?

theshoemakerstu

Hi there guys! I guess many people have been asking the same question as me.
But how do i sync a Reel to Reel tape recorder with pro tools?
In theory I know that i record a SMPTE signal to a track on the tape recorder, but how do I send that signal to pro tools, since PT cant understand SMPTE, then I read i need a converter that converts SMPTE to Midi signals to pro tools.
But how does PT act when I use my tape recorder? and what equipment should i buy? and how do i connect it all together?
Im using a Fostex B-16 tape recorder, and im planning on getting my hands on a Fostex Synchronizer.
Any info will help!
thx!

-Harold

But how does PT act when I use my tape recorder?

Exactly!!

You are correct that one solution would be to convert SMPTE to midi. Pro Tools would then logically act as a master. However the rub is how well all things "stay together".

SMPTE to midi is more or less Start and Stop. Old tape machines drift and wobble and weave especially over time.

Any reason you don't just retire the Fostex????

Oops, i should have mentioned my system. I use Pro tools LE 7.3 :)
And the reason why i wont retire the Fostex tape recorder, is I have extremly much respect for analog equipment/sound.
but to be honest. I actualy met this extremly nice Sound tech in a bar where I usually hang out. He told me to use Pro Tools HD if i want to transfer all the sound in one go (which would be best) But in Pro tools LE i can only transfer 12 audio tracks at the time. And i use 16...
*sigh* I need to upgrade my equipment.

Wait...I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing here. Are you simply wanting to transfer your tape to Pro Tools or are you wanting to sync and record and playback simultaneously.

A big, big fundamental difference.

As to your respect for analog tape I understand that is as long as the time, money and effort don't out way the sonic outcome.

Pro Tools HD doesn't, in and of itself, offer ANY advantage in the tape to Pro Tools transfer scenario except for the time code. I'm not sure your friendly sound tech guy's advice is all that good.

Last edited:
also, your friend's advice isn't quite spot on. If you have a 002 or 003 (you didn't mention which hardware unit you are using...but I'm assuming one of those since you're talking about more than 4 tracks), you can transfer up to 18 simultaneously.

Like Joseph said transferring from tape to Pro Tools and syncing playback of Pro Tools and the tape (ie. if you're running out of tracks on the tape and want another unit for recording)....they are two different things. Transferring from tape to PT is simple. But let's start with which Digi hardware you have

Back