Help? Cracking Noise During Playback

openoyster

Hey everyone... I am new to this board... and to Pro Tools in general. Here's my problem:

I am using a POD X3 to record guitar tracks to Pro Tools via an Mbox 2. After I lay down a few tracks of distorted electric guitar, I start hearing a cracking noise during playback. But here's the thing... the noise goes away when I solo the individual tracks. It only appears when I listen to all of the tracks play back at once.

I went through the manual and performed all of the things listed under "How to optimize for a Mac." Also, since I am using a SPDIF cable to connect the POD to the Mbox, I made sure to set the clock to "SPDIF" when I record and switch back to "internal" when I play back through the monitors connected to the Mbox.

I've tried adjusting my buffer times and such during playback, but that doesn't help. Also, I'm not using any plug-ins right now on the guitar tracks... all of the effects processing is being done on the POD. Another thing... just looking at the waveform, there are no visual spikes or anything that would suggest clipping.

Thanks for any help you can offer!!

PS: Here's what my chain looks like right now:

Guitar>>>POD X3>>>Mbox 2>>>Mackie MR5 Monitors

I am running Pro Tools LE version 7.4.2 on a 2.4 ghz iMac with 4gb RAM

Clipping?

It sounds like all your tracks combined might just be too loud. Try bringing the volume on the tracks down and see if the noise goes away.

Thanks!

Wow.. thanks for the quick response.

Like I said... I'm new to this... and did not have a master fader track. Once I added one, I could see how the sum of all the tracks was making the master volume clip. So... after lowering the individual tracks... the cracking went away.

Thanks!

Back