Good CHEAP External Hard Drives that are good with Pro Tools LE 8?

Greythunder

I've always been told I should record with Pro Tools on an external hard drive and not my internal one, but due to money reasons, I have never gotten around to actually getting an external hard drive for Pro Tools to run on.

I run Pro Tools LE 8.0.4 with the Mbox 3 Mini, by the way. I currently use a Windows 7 laptop. (I could give more specs if required.)

So, I have a long list of music related stuff I need to buy as is. I am basically setting up a home recording studio in my room. Minus the Hard Drive, I have about $800 worth of stuff yet to buy, and that is a LOT of money for me. I want some advice on a good External Hard Drive for Pro Tools 8 that is within the $50-$100 range. Any advice?

Is that because the speed of your internal drive is too slow? Typically you run your DAW on an internal drive and maybe record audio to an external. A desktop with faster drives would be better suited for a home studio.

The Internal Hard Drive on my laptop is only 5400 RPM and I have read that I should not run Pro Tools on a hard drive any less than 7200 RPM. I believe that means my internal drive is not optimal for use with programs like Pro Tools. There are always loud clicking sounds when I record with this laptop and I have read that a slow hard drive is a main cause for that.

Back