Gain Staging in Pro Tools HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

joswil44

I have been having some problems with my Radial X-Amp as well as a speaker Cab that I suspect may have bad speakers.

While testing with my setup, I ran across some concerns with Gain Staging.

I am running external Preamps into a Pro Tools HD 192.

As far as Text Book Instructions, the Pro Tools 101 Training Guide says:

You want to adjust your audio source Volume until your Pro Tools Track Meter is reaching the highest peak without clipping.

Lets say your peaking anywhere between -3 and -6 avoiding 0 and above.

Starting with the signal path:

5150 dialed in, Post Gain/Volume set around 3-4 pushing nice air
SM57 mic'd near dust cap on 4x12 cab

Now hears where I get concerned.

Lets say I am using the ADL600 Mic Preamp.

I adjust the Gain on the Preamp and the Meters on the ADL600 tell me I am peaking around 0 to -6. So you would think it says I have a good signal level because the Preamp is not showing any clipping.

If it were my Grace 101 I would simply have a green light and when it gets to hot it flashes red as opposed to telling me what value of DB its at.

So on my Preamp I am just trying to get the best signal without clipping.

Now that signal is feeding into my Pro Tools 192 setup.

The Audio Track Meter in Pro Tools is seeing the guitar signal and Registering it at a peak of about -18 to -20.

Now to do what the Text Book says, you would have to turn the Preamp Gain up to bring the Pro Tools Track Meter to a peak around -3 or so.

So now the ADL600 Preamp is registering +6 and the meter is blazing and the Pro Tools Track Meter is hitting -3 to -6 Peaks.

Comparing the audio signals, the -18 sounds quieter but cleaner like it breathes more, the -3 is louder but sounds a little harsh and not as clear.

I know the 192 Manual says it is calibrated for 18 dB of Headroom.

So would that make sense that if I am putting a signal through a Preamp at 0dB it will register in Pro Tools at -18dB?

This is where I get lost.

Am I supposed to be eating up that headroom on an individual track?

If so, wont it be degrading the signal to push the Preamp Gain to the point of clipping to feed the Pro Tools Level?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back