Gain problem in LE 6.4

Kev7555

Drunken homebrewer
First off, hello everybody, this is my first time here. Glad I found it. Also, I'm a bit of a greenie with PT so have some patience with me.
For some reason, recently my Pro tools started acting a bit quirky in the editing window. I like to use the audiosuite, gain feature to help get an entire track at close to one level before mixdown.

Suddenly it started acting very weird. I can highlight a portion of a track, go to audiosuite, gain...then adust the gain level. But when it completes, the track shows a flat line instead of the adjusted waveform. The only way out of this has been to undo.

Anyone hear of anything like this or have any input?

I have tried uninstalling the Pro Tools software and reinstalling but it has no effect.

Thanks!

-Kev

No, its a glitch in the program I think. Never had the problem all year and then it just cropped up. You can up the gain 10 times or more and you come back with flat line in the waveform. I have several friends who are very experienced professional users and no one has heard of this.

I am thinking of attempting to reinstall the software again, but this time I think I may have to go into the registry and make sure there are no traces of the program left. Why else would a new, fresh install of pro tools have the same problem it did before reinstall??? There must be a key somewhere that is saving that piece of information. I imagine if I can find that key and either edit it or delete it, the problem should go away with a fresh install.

I was just hoping someone here may have experienced it also, and may have a quicker solution.

-Kev

Thank you VERY much!

This sounds like what I've been looking for.
The problem DID crop up shortly after I was making changes in preferences one day. I'll try the advised procedures and report back (one way or another) on the progress.

Again, thanks for the link!

-Kev

I've never heard of your problem either....but trashing the prefs would be the first thing I'd do with something like that.

Well, I'm pretty screwed now. I now have no plug ins, no audiosuite, nothing, just raw tracks.

How do I get back the original plug ins? It's looking like I'll have to reinstall anyway, eh?

OK, got the basic plug-ins back by installing the CS9 and CS6 updates, but I'm still missing the gain option (and a whole butt-load of other options from my audiosuite). I guess I'll just keep playing with it until everything is back to where it was. Haven't had time to check if this fixed my gain problem since I no longer have a gain option in audiosuite.

We'll see...

Problem is finally repaired.

Following the instructions in the link about "trashing the preferences" was the first step. After following those instructions things were a bit disasterous until I actually un-installed all of the Pro tools software and re-installed it, then everything is back up and running and I have full functionality in the "gain" section again.

Should anyone find this thread researching the same type of problem, please take serious note of the following:

The last step in the "trashing the preferences" instructions says to "go to each hard drive you have and delete the Digidesign Database folder from the root of each drive".

Do this on your operating sytem drive(s) but DO NOT DO THIS ON YOUR MASTER STORAGE DRIVE!!! Fortunately, intuition told me to question this advice. Upon examining the Digidesign Database folder on my storage drive it was found to contain all of my original and edited master recordings. Deleting this folder would have eliminated several years worth of masters. (Fortunately, I keep back ups in several places, as anyone who is using Pro Tools should do).

Thanks for the help,

-Kev

Do this on your operating sytem drive(s) but DO NOT DO THIS ON YOUR MASTER STORAGE DRIVE!!! Fortunately, intuition told me to question this advice. Upon examining the Digidesign Database folder on my storage drive it was found to contain all of my original and edited master recordings. Deleting this folder would have eliminated several years worth of masters. (Fortunately, I keep back ups in several places, as anyone who is using Pro Tools should do).

okay, THAT is strange. Why are you storing original and edited masters in your Database folders? That had to have been something you told PT to do...or something you copied there yourself.

I will tell you I have trashed the prefs for years on several different systems and have always removed the Digidesign Database folders on all the drives. 95% of the time this fixed any quirks and never harmed any of my sessions. In fact, this very morning I had a problem with PT crashing upon creating a new session. I went through the trashing prefs procedure and then found out one of my hard drives must have had some read/write errors on it and Windows wasn't recognizing it. Therefore, PT was not able to access the Digidesign Databases folder. Not a PT fault, but a drive problem. Simple repair of the disk corrected it.

Anyway...I'm the one who wrote the above article I linked you to. And I stand by it. Pro Tools will recreate those database folders upon startup. Just make sure you're not using the Digi Database folders or any Pro Tools system folder to store your sessions in.

Hmmm.....

I'm wondering if that happened right from the get-go when I first installed protools?

If I remember right, my storage folder defaulted to that location automatically. So...I should simply cut my storage folder out of the Digidesign database folder?

-Kev

yeah, just move it somewhere else.
looking at my database folder it only contains the files cache.wfm and volume.dbb

Yours might contain more especially if you have version 7.0 and above (I think Digi redesigned how the database folder works)

Last edited:
Nope, I'm in LE 6.4 using a DIGI 001 and it worked fine just pasting the folder outside of that other one.

Easier to get to for text editing also...

Thanks for the help.

-K

Back