Funky problem I've been experiencing lately...

madmax25

Pro tools LE 6.7 or something, Dell inspiron laptop...

With the past few sessions I've done, I've had this problem. I close down the session after tracking, open it up the next day, and it informs me that half the audio files are missing. When I create the session I usually create a source folder on my desktop as I had problems recording straight to my external hard drive. I started digging around and found the missing files were being dumped onto my external hard drive into a clone folder with just the missing pieces. Somehow protools is splitting things up and recording some of the data to a totally different source than the one I specified in the "create session" window....any clues?
I've been manually moving the files after recording stuff, but the rodeo is getting old:rolleyes:...

Thanks,
Elliot

Erm:o....
pardon me for sounding like a moron, but how would one do that? I guess I'm not that savvy with computers...
this might be related, but last time I booted it up it ran through a bunch of DOS code stuff and I recall seeing something about CHKDSK (??)....

Under the setup menu, click on disk allocations. it should give you a list of all your tracks and their disk (and maybe path?) name. Sounds like you might want to trash your prefs..

On this question of missing files.....

This has started happening with me as well....didn't at first. I don't remember changing any prefs. I thought that whenever I imported files into PT and then later "saved" the session that the imported files were saved in the "audio" folder. Is this incorrect?

Rusty K

On this question of missing files.....

This has started happening with me as well....didn't at first. I don't remember changing any prefs. I thought that whenever I imported files into PT and then later "saved" the session that the imported files were saved in the "audio" folder. Is this incorrect?

Rusty K

Pro Tools will sometimes just link to the file. It doesn't need to copy the file - i can't remember if there's an option for this or not - but if you're not altering the file (ie it can be imported directly in to PT - mono file, same Fs, same wordlength, and on a read/write volume), it won't copy it to your session folder.

Always check file allocation - another way to be sure of this is in your region list on the right hand side, set it to display full path name - this will tell you what harddrive, folder etc the session is in.

MessianiacDreams

Yes I just imported them with no change. I later deleted the files in the original folder and that's when PT couldn't find them any more. PT quit looking when I cleared the regions file and saved again.

Will do the regions check and check to see if there is an option to copy them to my PT audio folder. I do remember checking an option to store files in my audio folder though.

Thanks

I've expiereced some whut of the same problem. but really what ive done is just make sure the external is off and unplugged, and transfer the session after words to the external if need be.

I use to record straight to the external all the time, after my last computer meltdown i've tried just recording to the internal. i basically wanna see how it effects the flow of the session and so on... so far all ive noticed is for some reason it wont handle as many plug-ins as i use to... but really im thinking theres sumtin i didnt tweek on my comp to run faster this time around... not sure.

MessianiacDreams

Yes I just imported them with no change. I later deleted the files in the original folder and that's when PT couldn't find them any more. PT quit looking when I cleared the regions file and saved again.

Will do the regions check and check to see if there is an option to copy them to my PT audio folder. I do remember checking an option to store files in my audio folder though.

Thanks

If you go to Window->Project and expand the "Audio Files" folder, you can see a list of all the wav files associated with the current session. Select all the wav files, 'right click' on them, then select 'copy and relink'. Then a menu will come up asking where you want the files copied to.

When I start a new session, I open up my template session. So I always need to change the disc allocation (as described by MessianicDreams), otherwise all the files get saved into my template session "Audio Files" folder.

Back