Fostex MR-8 HD To Pro Tools?

thabeatnut

Hi, I have had this on my mind, and Iam thinking of getting a Fostex digital recorder, MR-8 HD, but I was wondering, If I record a beat or vocals on the fostex, could I later transfer them to pro tools??? I have a g4 mac, 10.4 "tiger"...If so, what would I need???? USB??? A flash card?? Should I go the digital recorder way, or should I just buy a midi audio interface and pro-tools??? Please help me out..!! Thanks...

The Fostex MR-8 series is based around the idea that you download your recordings to your PC/Mac.
You will need USB and a bit of free software called WavManager to be found on www.fostexusa.com under "support" and "software updates". Do download the instructions .pfd file for WavManager and User Manual plus Supplements for the MR-8 HD.

You'll also need a Digidesign interface (or supported M-Audio interface for PT M-Powered) to run Pro Tools. It won't run without a supported audio interface.

I have no experience of Pro Tools, I use Audacity for PC based editing.
The Fostex is a stand alone recorder that will record up to eight tracks per Song. WavManager helps to transfer the tracks as mono .WAV files to your Mac. Once in the Mac or PC you can edit each track and combine them to produce a Stereo .WAV file for recording to a CD. Fostex use the USB link for the transfer.
You can also bounce down the tracks and convert to a stereo .WAV file in the Fostex. In this case, you can transfer the stereo file directly into your Mac for burning to a CD.
With the USB connected. the Fostex looks like an external drive to the Mac and can be accessed in the normal way.

I do most of my editing in the Fostex (I have the MR16) and burn the CD directly on the MR16 burner. The MR8 HD will support an external (self powered) burner and the MR8 HD/CD has a built in burner. For more sophisticated processing, I use Audacity.

I have no experience of Pro Tools, I use Audacity for PC based editing.
The Fostex is a stand alone recorder that will record up to eight tracks per Song. WavManager helps to transfer the tracks as mono .WAV files to your Mac. Once in the Mac or PC you can edit each track and combine them to produce a Stereo .WAV file for recording to a CD. Fostex use the USB link for the transfer.
You can also bounce down the tracks and convert to a stereo .WAV file in the Fostex. In this case, you can transfer the stereo file directly into your Mac for burning to a CD.
With the USB connected. the Fostex looks like an external drive to the Mac and can be accessed in the normal way.

I do most of my editing in the Fostex (I have the MR16) and burn the CD directly on the MR16 burner. The MR8 HD will support an external (self powered) burner and the MR8 HD/CD has a built in burner. For more sophisticated processing, I use Audacity.

Thanks for your post.i'm just getting started with using my Fostex MR8 with my computer.It was very helpful.

Back