Firewire 1814 question

fris9

I'm using M Powered Pro Tools through a Firewire 1814 interface. I'm running into audio problems when recording drums. What I've been doing is running the mics into a Mackie mixer then individually out to the interface (snare, kick, 2 ohs) The problem I'm getting is that the sound quality from the 2 inputs going into the back of the interface (the 96khz 1/4 inch jacks) is noticeably worse than the XLR inputs on the front. Is there anything I can do, or am I missing something here?

What output are you using from the Mackie mixer? Obviously the inputs on the back don't have pres so that may be contributing. When you say it's noticeably worse, what do you mean? Describe the issues with the sound.

I'm going out from each individual channel on the Mackie into the 1814. I've also gone from a tube pre into the 1814 with similar results, and also with different mics. By bad sound quality I mean, the volume is noticeably lower, there's a distinct lack of low end, sounds "far away", etc... sorry, not really sure how to describe it. It does sound like a mic without a pre but I've cranked the Mackie and the pre with just "louder" bad sound, if that makes sense.

Back