External hard drive

tsqair

I have a macbook pro 2.66gz 8 gigs memory 7200rpm, running protools 9, everything runs well ,however the bottom of the laptop gets very hot,who is using an external hard drive ,with a set up similar to this,and which kind are you using,i'm doing my home work on this one ,and i'm just trying to gather as much info and data as possible,thanx

What's your question? Are you looking for recommendations on external drives?

While it's certainly a good idea, I doubt using an external would help much with heat issues on a MBP.

Those things seem to run hot, and the CPU is the main contributor.

SORRY , YES I AM LOOKING FOR RECOMMENDATIONS FOR AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE, I THOUGHT PERHAPS THIS WOULD CUT DOWN ON THE HEAT,ITS AN UNEDUCATED GUESS AT BEST ............lol

Thanks Tsquair.

About the heat thing, I have an i5 MBP. It runs hotter than I'd like, but various reviews and forums seem to suggest that it's normal.
I tend to raise it up on coasters or w/e where possible, just to let more air pass under it.

What do you mean you can't get 140 files back? Are you loosing files or something?
That track sounds really nice, although I'm currently on the MBP, so take that for what it's worth. ;)

Is 140 all of the audio files from your session, or just some of them?

ProTools saves your session file (.ptf) inside a folder.
Also in that folder is a folder called "Audio Files".
In that folder is all the audio you've recorded during your session, whether it's used in the timeline or not.

The first thing to do is quit your session and go exploring. See if "Audio Files" exists in the same dir/ as your ptf file, and if so, check the contents out.

Sometimes people make the mistake of thinking that a backup of the ptf file is a backup of the entire session.

i checked ....no good.......no worries,i will rebuild the song better this time, but getting back to my original question, what would be a good hard drive to buy, for this setup

Sorry to hear that. :(
I don't really use an external drive, but I'm sure others will be along to advise.

It's quiet in the PT forum, so if you have no luck, try the digital recording section.

I've used a Glyph external harddrive with a Pro Tools / MacBook setup and it worked pretty well. Even the Glyph gave me a few scares when it wouldn't mount on the desktop, but Glyph the company was always helpful in getting me back up and running. Recording in general is processing intensive and all my computers and harddrives usually run fairly hot - helps to have a fan in the room for those times when you're *not* recording and don't need it extra quiet. I'm guessing that recording to an external harddrive *would* help your MacBook to run a little cooler, but the only way to know for sure would be to try it out. Anyway, good luck!

yes it is fast enough,good enough for what i do, up to 40 tracks with some plugins,however some of the plugin's use a lot of power, but there is a trick around that

Back