Error 9073 - Drive to slow... any fixes???

Nick The Man

"DAE can't get audio from the drive(s) fast enough. Your drive may be too slow, or fragmented, or a firewire drive could be having trouble due to the extra firewire bandwidth or cpu load. (-9073)"

And there lies the error message I get from almost all of my sessions now...

Well, I'd like to start by saying I'm an idiot. I have been running pro tools 7.4 with a digi 003 rack and windows XP SP3. It been working great! No problems.

Then genius me decides I want to use Windows Disk Cleanup and Windows Defragger on the drive that contains my audio files. So I do that, and then I restart my computer and fire up pro tools too work on a session that I need to get to a band soon... annnnddd I get that error.

It kinda seems wierd that things were working perfectly, and then I actually did what it is telling me to do to fix the error... before I even got the error!

So is there anyway I can fix this without extensive work (remaking all of my sessions and importing all the audio files... and hoping I can re-allign all the numerous takes)?

same

I have been getting that same error msg too! I tried opening a small session and got the same msg? I tried opening a larger session same thing. A freind told me that it is the firewire cable??? So off I go to buy a new one to see if that works???????

"DAE can't get audio from the drive(s) fast enough. Your drive may be too slow, or fragmented, or a firewire drive could be having trouble due to the extra firewire bandwidth or cpu load. (-9073)"

And there lies the error message I get from almost all of my sessions now...

Well, I'd like to start by saying I'm an idiot. I have been running pro tools 7.4 with a digi 003 rack and windows XP SP3. It been working great! No problems.

Then genius me decides I want to use Windows Disk Cleanup and Windows Defragger on the drive that contains my audio files. So I do that, and then I restart my computer and fire up pro tools too work on a session that I need to get to a band soon... annnnddd I get that error.

It kinda seems wierd that things were working perfectly, and then I actually did what it is telling me to do to fix the error... before I even got the error!

So is there anyway I can fix this without extensive work (remaking all of my sessions and importing all the audio files... and hoping I can re-allign all the numerous takes)?

Are you recording to the system drive? You may have "cleaned up some preference files that you needed. Try backing up, then trash your PT preferences and see if it works. I also noticed that on LE versions, if you are using an external HD, too much traffic on one USB pci card can also create that problem.

I have been getting that same error msg too! I tried opening a small session and got the same msg? I tried opening a larger session same thing. A freind told me that it is the firewire cable??? So off I go to buy a new one to see if that works???????

I think this would only pretain to people using a firewire hard drive, are you?

Are you recording to the system drive? You may have "cleaned up some preference files that you needed. Try backing up, then trash your PT preferences and see if it works. I also noticed that on LE versions, if you are using an external HD, too much traffic on one USB pci card can also create that problem.

I have two drives in my computer. One for OS and program files, and another drive for nothing but audio, video, and so on files. If I'm not mistaken I believe I dsabled my backup system to decrese CPU power usage for background programs.

Am I screwed?

I have two drives in my computer. One for OS and program files, and another drive for nothing but audio, video, and so on files. If I'm not mistaken I believe I dsabled my backup system to decrese CPU power usage for background programs.

Am I screwed?

Have you tired trashing the digi databases?

otherwise, try formatting your hard drive and putting the sessions back on it.

Have you tired trashing the digi databases?

otherwise, try formatting your hard drive and putting the sessions back on it.

Ok, so I tried throwing the database folders in the trash. And I emptied the recycle bin, fired up. Same problem.

So I'll try your next tactic. Now by format do you mean just back up all my sessions, delete all my sessions, then put them all back on the drive? Or do you think I should back the whole drive up and then reformat the whole thing?

I have 301GBs on my drive right now, so that would be ALOT of backing up. But if its what I gotta do, I'll have to find a way. I would just hope to god it would work

hi there,,

could be nothing to do with your problem,,,,but,,i ran into the same thing a while ago,

i run a 3.0ghz core2duo with 8gb ram, 2 raptors (10k), and a big 7200 for overall backing up.....

so,,quick enough setup,,,but hard drive errors?

turned out my dvd burner was dead/dying and locking up the whole system.....

then,,,after replacing it, i got the same error,,,,,

turned out my big storage drive (which wasn't being used) was dead/dying,,,,,and IT was locking up the system...

in short, if you don't find the answer,,,,try unpluggin any unneccesary drives, including cd/dvd drives,,,,just to see :)

good luck!

Ok, so I tried throwing the database folders in the trash. And I emptied the recycle bin, fired up. Same problem.

So I'll try your next tactic. Now by format do you mean just back up all my sessions, delete all my sessions, then put them all back on the drive? Or do you think I should back the whole drive up and then reformat the whole thing?

I have 301GBs on my drive right now, so that would be ALOT of backing up. But if its what I gotta do, I'll have to find a way. I would just hope to god it would work

Ok, so the databases didn't solve it.....Have you tried running the Pro Tools Pref & Database helper? Maybe trying to dump stuff with that might help. I don't know, I'm clutching at straws here because I know how much of a pain it is to reformat.

But yes, that's what I was suggesting - back up everything on the drive and re-format. Something happened to the data on the drive when you defragg'd which has made Tools schiz out a bit.

have you tried copying a session to an external drive, deleting it from you audio drive, and then copying it back? It could be that when the defragger moved you audio around Tools hasn't liked where it's put it...could be as simple as removing all sessions from the HD and copying them back again - effectively re-writing the information....

same

I have PT set-up to go to a external firewire 200GB. I have two internal drives 1 for OS the other for back-up and samples, plug-ins. I do not have any USB drives use my firedrive at all, those files are in my 2nd harddrive for VST instruments and what not,s. Now some times the session with large track counts will open with no problems and some times they don,t, go figure?????

Ok, so the databases didn't solve it.....Have you tried running the Pro Tools Pref & Database helper? Maybe trying to dump stuff with that might help. I don't know, I'm clutching at straws here because I know how much of a pain it is to reformat.

But yes, that's what I was suggesting - back up everything on the drive and re-format. Something happened to the data on the drive when you defragg'd which has made Tools schiz out a bit.

have you tried copying a session to an external drive, deleting it from you audio drive, and then copying it back? It could be that when the defragger moved you audio around Tools hasn't liked where it's put it...could be as simple as removing all sessions from the HD and copying them back again - effectively re-writing the information....

SWEET! If I copy them over to my other drive, delete the originals, then put the copies back on... essentially re-writing them like you said. It works! Simple fix... I was getting really nervous for a while there. Thanks for all the help!

NICK:cool:

SWEET! If I copy them over to my other drive, delete the originals, then put the copies back on... essentially re-writing them like you said. It works! Simple fix... I was getting really nervous for a while there. Thanks for all the help!

NICK:cool:

Glad it helped.

Can't really explain that one though...As I said, I guess the defragg'er must've mashed up where it placed the audio?

Back