EQ trouble, help! please

midwesttribune

I own Protools LE 6.7 mbox I already use a compressor and i was told this is what i need to do to a mp3 instrumental in order to sound in the mix with vocals. so i dont sound just over the beat.
To: Midwesttribune "The vocal is loud enough I think the problem is you haven't made room for it with EQ. Unless you've done this already send your mp3 to a bus, place an EQ in the bus and scoop out some of the mid range, centre the peak around 1k reduce around 3db with a Q around 0.60 to 0.80. Then on your vocal boost the mid range but only by 1-2 db at 1k with the same Q. This should make the vocal intelligeble without it being so loud it sits on top of the mix. Hope this helps." From: person

With protools on the eq levels you can tweak is this:
input-(starts at 0.0) type: select (hi-pass, lo-pass, hi-shelf, low-shelf, or peak) Gain-(starts at -8.0) Freq-(starts at 1.0khz) Q-(starts at 1.30)

so to "centre the peak" i select peak? what about the "1K"? how do i "boost the midrange" to "reduce around 3db" is that reduce the gain from -8.0 to -11.0? and as far as the Q i understand just move that between 0.60 and 0.80 from the orginal 1.30 an i just do this to the mp3's bus its on?
THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS

OK, I'm game. . .

this advice is telling you to weave two sounds together by reducing the volume of certain frequencies on one track and raising the volume of those same frequencies on the other track.

Your music track: parametric EQ set to a peak filter, do -3dB at 1000 Hz (1k, get it?)

Your vocal track: parametric EQ set to a peak filter, do +3dB at 1000 Hz

You are notching out frequencies of the music to give room to frequencies from your vocal. Now they can both be heard distinctly, but at the same volume.

Scott
Not an audio engineer.

I went to my "music track" (the mp3 instrumental) and placed a 1 band eq on the bus's, is that a "parametric eq"? then set the gain at -3DB an left the freq. at 1.00 KHz an the Q at 1.30, correct? Then went to the main vocal and set the gain to +3.0DB an also the Freq. at 1.00 KHz an the Q at 1.30, correct? Now if this was done right what i noticed is by increasing the gain on the vocal its almost as if the vocal it-self sounds like yer talking in a phone? (if that makes any sense) like for instance if you take and raise the gain to 12.0 then it literally sounds like yer talking on the phone u know? an if you lower the gain deep in the negitives it creates almost the opposite efftect? am i missing somethin here? also do i place the Eq's on the adlibs as well with the vocal levels instructed? look forward to yer responce, thanks again

If the EQ you are using allows you to select the frequency, the bandwidth (Q) and the level (+/- dB) it is a parametric, and the correct one to use. This type of EQ will be used 95% of the time.

It sounds like you are getting the idea. In it's very simplest form, you boost one track and cut another track at the same frequency to get them to fit together better.

The 1000Hz suggestion was just that, a suggestion and probably does sound telephony. Try other freqencies, and learn what boosting and cutting certain frequencies sounds like. Without hearing the tracks, it is impossible to give advice on a freq, just the knowledge that you must apply yourself. You have to experiment with all three parameters, freq, Q and boost/cut to find what works with YOUR tracks. If you boost it and it sounds bad, then cut it. If a cut makes the track sound weak, try boosting it.

Read the first article on this page, contributed by one of your esteemed pros:

http://www.independentrecording.net...dex.php?author=Glen+Stephan&month=7&year=2008

Once you understand Parametric EQ's, this article will give you some a technique to use to grow your knowledge.

Expanding your knowledge, training your ears and learning from your experiences is the only way to get better at this game. I have probably 1000 hours behind a console/daw and I consider myself a C- level mixer, so don't expect to sound like an A level guy (pro) in a short time.

Scott
Not an audio engineer.

Back