Elastic Audio and Drums

Captain Whisky

Hey Guys, hope all is well.

I recently did a session with a drummer and after listening back to what we recorded I can see that he has played the tempo a bit too fast on two of the songs. One's at least 15 seconds shorter than it should be...it's quite noticeable.

So I guess my only option is to use Elastic Audio on Pro Tools. My question is what should they be set to? You see I have Kick, Hi-Hat, Snare, Tom 1, Tom 2, Tom 3, OHL and OH R

You see I've noticed that if they are all set Rhythmic it will work fine on the snare sure, but when I use that setting on an OHL the symbols contain some artifacts on them. So maybe I should have it set them all to Rhythmic apart from the Overheads which I should set to Polyphonic?? I'm not sure because they still contain the rest of the kit. What do you guys think? Has anyone had to do this before? And what exactly is the decay rate option all about?

Hi Captain,
You might just be in trouble, to be honest.
Your problem with the cymbals most likely isn't due to the algorithm used; It's most likely down to the fact that they're a stereo recording.

I almost always get artefacts when elastic-audio-ing stereo instruments.
First thing's first though - Group lock all your tracks together so you don't ruin anything. (I guess you've thought of this, but I'm just checking)

X-form? rendered algorithm seems to be much less sensitive than the live algorithms.
That would mean set it to rhythmic, do all your work then change it to x-form, let it render and see if it sounds any better.

The bottom line, in my experience, is that it's not going to play nice.
Have you tried beat detective? I don't use it so I'm not sure if it uses the same algorithms or not but it is designed for percussion I think.
Might be worth a look.

As a side note :- You're the best judge of your own music but go ahead and track some guitars and vocals just to make certain the tracks are too fast.
I find the studio tendency is actually to play too slow and it's very hard to judge without melodies/vocals.
Give that a try, would be my advice.

Ok, I will try it with X-Form and see how it pans out, it takes soooo long to render! The drummer did want to play with a click track maybe I should of listened...but what I hate about click tracks it that there is no room for movement...I think a tracks tempo naturally changes throughout a song.

I take your point but it's not strictly true.
A good drummer can move around the click whilst using it as a rough guide.

Hope it works out for you one way or the other. :)

I take your point but it's not strictly true.
A good drummer can move around the click whilst using it as a rough guide.

Hope it works out for you one way or the other. :)

You're probably right ;) I don't have that much recording experience, next time It might be wise to try out a click. On a bright note I quickly tried out X-Form on the Overheads and I can't notice any artifacts which is great! And by using a tempo tap and adjusting the drums accordingly I seem to be getting it pretty dead on to the original tempo it was meant to be, it was about 5bpm too fast. It's 01:30 am here though so I'll play about with it more tomorrow and double check that I'm not getting any artifacts.

Back