editing song lengths

currant_bun

Hi
my question is hopefully simple. I've started working with pro-tools, done some recording and transferred stuff from tapes etc. But one simple thing is puzzling me at the moment to do with song length.For example i have transferred a 3 track demo from a reel to reel in one hit and i want to split up the tracks. I have saved 3 versions and deleted the audio to leave what i want on each file, but how do I make track 2 (for example) not have 3 minutes of silence before it starts?
Also how can you make a track stop playing at the end?

Hi there.
If you want to adjust the length of a region you can either use the selection tool (upright bar like in a text editor) to select the dead areas, then hit delete.
Either that or you can use the bracket shaped tool which allows you to reduce or extent the edges of a waveform.

Protools will just continue to play regardless of whether there are waveforms/midi there so what you'd need to do is make a timeline selection from your start to your finish.
When you bounce your audio out it will bounce the selection only.
For that reason it doesn't really matter if there are gaps before and after your active regions.

Hope that helps.

thanks for the swift reply

Im ok with the bouncing bit but I still cant mange to delete the blank bit at the beginning that im left with after deleting the audio. I select it and delete but nothing happens.

If it's blank then there's nothing to delete.
Your canvas is bigger than your picture it won't be causing any problems.

If you really want to get rid of dead space at the beginning you should set all tracks to waveform view and make a full timeline selection from the start of your music onwards.
Now, with everything selected, use the grabber tool to drag all your audio/midi back to the start of the session.

If you've been working to the grid with a fixed tempo, make sure you make your selection and perform the move in grid mode.
If you have a variable tempo going on this is going to be hassle, because the tempo changes don't move, AFAIK.
If the latter is the case, I'd just leave well alone.

Thanks

I did the select and grab to move the tracks to the beginning. To be honest I could only do it one track at a time but that didnt matter because both audio tracks were in line with eachother.

Have a good evening.

Stu

Thanks

I did the select and grab to move the tracks to the beginning. To be honest I could only do it one track at a time but that didnt matter because both audio tracks were in line with eachother.

Have a good evening.

Stu

Ah, right enough. You have to hold a modifier key to drag several tracks at once.
On mac it's command. Not sure about windows.

Back