Drum Core and Pro Tools

Schwarzenyaeger

Formerly "Dog-In-Door"
I got PT just a few days ago and am very new to it.

I downloaded the free version of Drum Core today and don't understand quite how it works. A guide told me that I need an aux track and an audio track as well as a MIDI track to be able to play the drum tracks in PT. It works but it just seems incredibly complicated.

I can't seem to drag&drop neither the audio or MIDI files directly into my tracks like everybody is showing me in their youtube videos.

What am I missing?

I downloaded the free version of Drum Core today and don't understand quite how it works. A guide told me that I need an aux track and an audio track as well as a MIDI track to be able to play the drum tracks in PT. It works but it just seems incredibly complicated.

That sounds like outdated info.
It used to be that way but now you just need an instrument track.
Create your stereo instrument track, go to the mix window, clock an empty insert tab on your instrument track, and look for your plugin.

You can drag/drop (or import) midi files directly onto instrument tracks.

Come back and let us know if that works, and if you need any more help. :)

I literally can not drag&drop ;( !
I'm watching all of these people simply opening up instrument and midi tracks and just d&d'n but it just won't let me.

I created a blank session, made a stereo instrument track, when to the mix window, click on an empty insert tab and went multichannel plug-in -> instruments -> DrumCore3 (stereo). I then open the program, go from Audio to MIDI and can't drag anything (doesn't work with Audio either).
I can play the loops inside of DC3 just fine but no d&d. :wtf: !

I'm using PT 10 and not 11 if that makes any difference.

Did you try import through the menus rather than drag and drop?
Depending where you got the midi files, Protools might not like something about their format, or whatever.
Sometimes you just have to manually import which, I guess, does some kind of conversion or processing.

Where are you trying to put the midi? Into Protools instrument track timeline or into the VST?
Forgive me; I'm not familiar with drum core. I expect they go on the inst track in the edit window, though.

You're going to have to get real basic with me here.
What do you mean exactly by try to import through menus?

I've been dragging the midi directly into the track timeline. I don't know what you mean by VST, sorry :(
It doesn't even show the "drag" icon when I grab the file in the first place so dropping it doesn't work either.

Currently the track has no input and is assigned to output 1-2 if that matters.

Oh, ok. Sorry.
I'm going on memory here but click on File -> import (or something to that effect).
I think it might even show a drop down menu under import with audio,midi,session data etc.

Click File->Import->Midi and select your midi file.

VST* I meant to say virtual instrument. ie Drum core.

I can't make a drop down menu appear at all, sadly.

But I did get the instrument track to work without all the Aux stuff! :)

Thank you for your help.

Do you have any recommendations for other drum progams for PT10? I'm willing to learn anything.

It's a long shot but I'd say there's something funky going on with your midi files.
I'm not super familiar with exporting and importing of midi but if it's not drag/dropping then I'd say there's some compatibility issue.
Are the .mid or are they some unique extension that another program uses?

At least you got something. :)

My god, why did I never think about checking that...

They are .cfz files, whatever those are.

Well so far I've been able to use the program as an engine for self made MIDI tracks.
One more question: do you know how to put in offbeat notes in a MIDI track? I'm at 75 BPM and need a kick to come in half way through the 4th quarter note of a bar, so basically the last 8th of the bar.
I figured out that I can double time the track to 150 BPM and stretch out the 4ths to 8ths but that looks and feels wrong.
I need PT to somehow draw another line down from the top allowing me to place 8th notes in my MIDI. So far I can only break it down to 4ths.

edit: meant .czf files, google can't even find a single entry about them.

Ok, we're getting somewhere. You need to export/save your midi files as .mid for PT use.
There may be other formats it'll accept, but I'm not sure.
Any software should have the option for .mid in the save/export menus, though. It's a standard.

Regarding 4ths/8ths etc, you can change the grid resolution to suit.
I can't remember offhand exactly which menu does it, but it's one of the ones I've circled red in the below image.

pt.jpg

Update on your file types, from the Drum Core manual.

"All audio files are 24-bit, 48 kHz stereo in DrumCore’s proprietary file format (.czf).
Most grooves in DrumCore’s database also have a MIDI version, which provides an even greater de- gree of flexibility in conjunction with DrumCore’s DrumKits. All MIDI files are stored in DrumCore’s proprietary file format (.cmf)."

So the files you're trying to import are not only proprietary, but they're audio files too!
I expect that cmf files aren't supported by protools either, but I'm betting you can drag loops straight from drum core to the protools instrument track like you can in Addictive Drums, etc.

Thank you so much! I sadly cannot try any of your solutions since my computer just completely froze up and died while I was adjusting the volume of my MIDI track.
I'm going to have to get it fixed first, it's completely shot, it can't even launch windows. :(

Well the whole PC is completely shot, I can't even start it anymore. I'm going to bring it to a shop when I get back home in over a week.

Thank you so much for your help :)

Back