Drive to Slow error PRO TOOLS 8 LE Rack Factory

iownrocknroll

I started recieving this error today

DAE is having trouble keeping up. Your disk may be too slow or too fragmented.

I noticed my disk usage up around 70% in the System Resource Monitor of pro-tools. The hard drive is SATA 7200 RPM Seagate, 86% free space, running on windows XP 32 bit.

Any idea what this could? I noticed it happens with or without any plugins and it only seem to happen when I am doing "Loop Playback"

Is this the same hard drive as the one which your OS is installed on?

When did you last defrag the drive?

Last edited:
Seperate HD then OS, did not Beat Detect anything.
Drive was defragged Sunday

As far as fades go, the same amount of fades I had in a pro-tools 6.4 session using digi 001 with "1 core fix, for amd"

again I'm only noticing this error in loop playback.

Recently defragg'd?

This is ringing a bell...I'm pretty sure someone else had a very similar issue to this not so long ago..let me have a search.

EDIT: found it!

try seeing if this thread will help you out. seems someone else had exactly the same issue after defragg'ing. it appears that re-writing the session on the drive could solve it. Try that out with one session and if it works, do the whole drive!

I guess the trouble is that when Windows defrags the drive, it makes sure each file is on contiguous sectors. However it won't make sure that all of the files in a folder are on contiguous sectors.

Pro Tools will make sure of this so rewriting the session would fix this.

With the files not contiguously stored, the disc arm will have to move around all over the place to grab the relevant audio files thus slowing down its read speed immensely.

That's what I think happens anyway...

Back