Does protools work well with PC

SkyM

My instructor told me protools sometimes don't work so well with pc and he recommended me to get mac but some of the macbook pro is wayyyy to expensive for this poor college student. A laptop around 1.2k is equivalent in power as a mac pro around 2.3k. Please Educate me if u have used protools on pc.

A mac is a mac.
They build them and there is no variation. My 13" 2012 MBP is the same as your 13" 2012 MBP.

There is more variation in pc parts, brands, chipsets, etc.

Pro tools will run well on all of the macs, and some of the PCS.

If you buy a mac, you don't have to research if it'll work with PT or not, and if you buy a pc, you do.

Pro Tools will work just fine on a PC. Don't spend extra money where it's not needed.

Are you in a class where you use pro tools only or is this a personal investment? You can save more money with better quality DAW's in the market.

Pro Tools will work just fine on a PC. Don't spend extra money where it's not needed.

Are you in a class where you use pro tools only or is this a personal investment? You can save more money with better quality DAW's in the market.

Yes, Im in a class where protools is needed. Thank you for ur advice i will just get a good laptop.

Dude, until a couple days ago, I was running Pro Tools on a $500 self built computer. It ran like a top. All it had in it was 4GB RAM and an AMD quad core at 2.8Ghz, and a 1 TB hard drive (7200 rpm).
Personally, I'm a HUGE Windows guy in the Mac/PC debate and I can tell you right now, you can build yourself a cheap computer and still run Pro Tools well.
(My current build is a 3.5 GHz i7 with 8GB RAM and an nVidia GTX 560 SE with a 128GB SSD and the same TB HDD. That only cost me a total of $1000 and is cheaper than any Mac you can find with the same specs. Jussayin',)

Well, you can make it work perfectly on a PC but at the cost of that PC or less you can get a mac that will outlast it. I have found that PCs tend to slow down with time, you know, after you've installed and uninstalled programs, surfed countless hours on the internet and got the usual malware and spyware and all of that. I switched to mac about a year ago and so far so good. I don't think I'll ever go back to PC!

If you have a reasonable quality PC then you'll run Pro Tools no problem, even if it off not so good quality all you'll need to do is turn up buffer size.

Hi mate. Do You Know if it is possible pro tools 8 l.e can be used with other audio interfaces such as Presonus firestudio or the focusrites? Other than just the little mbox? I want to multi track but difficult with just 2 channels! Any advice will be appreciated. Anyone. Ta.

Hmm? Ok thanks. I was told only from version 9 up you can use other hardware other than avid..wanted to get other opinions first. Thanks

Yeah. The older versions (as in more than ten years ago) didn't run without Avid hardware but, since then, they're designed to work fine on PC.

The compatibility list doesn't mention computer brands (AFAIK), just what versions of Windows are supported (and all current versions are okay but some PT versions want 64 Windows.

I was using PT on Windows machines (at work--hated it and went elsewhere at home) as much as 15 years ago. Never had a problem.

The compatibility list doesn't mention computer brands (AFAIK), just what versions of Windows are supported (and all current versions are okay but some PT versions want 64 Windows.

Their compatibility lists, although I haven't had cause to check them in a while, generally list supported motherboards, chipsets etc.

All the guys who came behind me and said ProTools works fine on a PC will probably be the same guys who spend half their lives on forums trying to work out why it didn't work fine.
Check the PC hardware against avid before building/buying a ProTools PC.

Wrenchy totally missed the point.
Yeah, I'm sure you can run PT on a relatively cheap PC. The point is that you can't guarantee it'll run well on every relatively cheap PC.

Unbelievable that the OPs response to this thread was "I'll just buy a good laptop".

In my mixing rig I have been running PT (now on PT 11) on a custom built quad core I7 and RME interfaces & preamps that has not burped since PT9. I would suggest you be aware of any warnings from Avid regarding graphics cards you might use, but to date I have installed PT on several PC based systems (both desktops & laptops) and never had a graphics card compatibility issue. My 'heavy-hitter' desktop video editing & mixing system is by default not connected to the internet & does not have anti-virus software on it. I download apps & updates to a different machine & port them to the production system via thumb drive or external disk. This arrangement keeps the production machine running clean, lean & mean. I have no prejudices regarding computer hardware, as I have to work with both PC's & Macs. I built my PC based mixing system for $2200...an equivalent MAC Pro system at the time would have cost me around $6500, so in this case, economics drove the decision. My past experience in the IT business leads me to conclude that it is just a matter of time before hackers will go after Macs as well as PC's. Time will tell. Best of luck with your decision.

Back