Digi Mbox no software , Help .

Dinny

Whats good people's ? I need some info , I have a Digi Mbox but I do not have the protools software , to make a long story short I got duked on ebay . Dude said it came with the software but the next day hours before the biding was over he posted that it was a mistake and i didnt see the new post intell after I won . If I get software for this does it have to be new because I have people I know with Protools that will give me there CD or do I have to find new software that was never used ?

That Sucks!

The Mbox comes WITH the software. In order to buy the software, you would have to buy an Mbox.

Yes, that sucks!

If your friends have Protools software, it would have to be for the same exact model of hardware. A friend's Digi 001 version of PT won't work for an Mbox, as well as an Mbox2 version of software won't work for an Mbox, etc...

I am not even sure if another MBox software would work, but if it did, you would have to use up an authorization from your friends backups, as well as register it using his name and info.

If you re authorize the software to your computer, your friend might lose ability to use and/or upgrade via his computer. Not sure on this, but you would definately have to have a cool friend to attempt this.

If you write customer service at Digidesign.com, and explain your situation, maybe they will sell you the appropriate version of ProTools for your hardware. It can't hurt to try...

You should report the ebay seller and try to reverse the sale, if possible.

Pro tools has gotten really smart regarding software "piracy" and makes it difficult to get around. The specific software comes WITH the specific hardware, and to register it or add plugins, etc... you need to register it and usually unlock it via a usb key called an i-lock.

As a last resort:
Try downloading Pro Tools Free, from the digidesign site. It is an 8 track version of protools that works via your computer's audio in/out. Maybe you can run it through the Mbox, however, I doubt it.

Good Luck!

I stand corrected. Maybe, but I doubt it. After checking out the link, according to the hardware requirements, it looks like you can upgrade to any version of PT 7.4 you need.

He needs the software, not a link to an upgrade.

Unfortunately, you can't upgrade from a non existent state.

When you try to to upgrade, you will be asked for your hardware model, and your operatring system, in order to allow the proper download.

Unfortunately you will will be asked to submit the authorization codes to the software version currently registered, that you want to upgrade from.

I only know this because, when I bought an MBox2, it came with PT LE version 6.8.1. I upgraded to version 7.1 when it was offered for free, and I went through the whole process.

I had to log in to my digidesign account, in order to upgrade.

If you don't have an account, you can't upgrade.

This is where cool friends come into the picture.

You have to use their digidesign account.

I may be wrong, as I used to be all about the "get around".

Anyone who knows how to get around the security features now in place, should PM Dinny with the 411.

I just got tired of not having the real deal, and dealing with limitations.

That's why I purchased mine from a store.

It's not an upgrade. If you click on the pull down menu you'll see you can buy the Full Install for $75. Buying this version will get you an authorization code.

And the software is NOT specific to only your hardware. Pro Tools LE is the same for every hardware version. Digi did not code 9 different versions of PTLE to distribute.

OK, here's what happens when you click "Full Install", and try to purchase.

If you don’t have access to broadband Internet service and need a physical installation disc to upgrade to Pro Tools LE® 7.4 software, you can purchase the upgrade on DVD for an additional charge on top of your relevant Pro Tools LE 7.4 Software Upgrade, which you must also purchase to obtain a license to use the software on this disc.

Pro Tools LE 6.x to 7.4 Upgrade $75.00
$75.00

Pro Tools LE 7.4 Optional Installation DVD $14.95
$14.95

Sub Total: $89.95

Notice that "Full Install" only means that you have to pay extra for an install disc that only works with your upgrade? This is an option for people without internet access. Read carefully...

If you don’t have access to broadband Internet service and need a physical installation disc to UPGRADE to Pro Tools LE® 7.4 software, you can purchase the upgrade on DVD for an additional charge on top of your relevant Pro Tools LE 7.4 Software Upgrade, which you must also purchase to obtain a license to use the software on this disc.

you're making this much more difficult than it needs to be.

The DVD they mail you is OPTIONAL. When you purchase the Pro Tools LE 7.4 Software Upgrade (which they are just calling an upgrade because most people ARE just upgrading, but if you pay a bit extra you get the full version) they give you the license....hence as to why they say you will obtain a license when you purchase it.

Full Install does NOT mean you have to pay extra for a disc. You don't HAVE to buy the disc, it's optional. You can click "No Thanks" and just download it instead.
Full Install MEANS Full Install. Everything he needs is in the download INCLUDING the license that they explicitly say you will obtain.

The only things that are important when you install Pro Tools are the hardware, a PT full installation version and a license key. You'll have all three when you buy it.

you're making this much more difficult than it needs to be.

The DVD they mail you is OPTIONAL. When you purchase the Pro Tools LE 7.4 Software Upgrade (which they are just calling an upgrade because most people ARE just upgrading, but if you pay a bit extra you get the full version) they give you the license....hence as to why they say you will obtain a license when you purchase it.

Full Install does NOT mean you have to pay extra for a disc. You don't HAVE to buy the disc, it's optional. You can click "No Thanks" and just download it instead.
Full Install MEANS Full Install. Everything he needs is in the download INCLUDING the license that they explicitly say you will obtain.

The only things that are important when you install Pro Tools are the hardware, a PT full installation version and a license key. You'll have all three when you buy it.

That is 100% accurate. I just did that exact same thing a few weeks ago. No previous pro tools, downloaded the full version from digi, and it works great.

thanks studio23

in fact....I think the only difference between the full install and upgrade versions is the full install includes a license key. I think they are the exact same downloads, but if you're upgrading you just use your old license key.

Back