Cursor!!!

RecordingMaster

A Sarcastic Statement
This is ridiculous. Was working on a project a few minutes ago and everything was FINE. I just re-opened it and now it won't play from where I select. It only wants to play about 30 seconds earlier from no matter where I selected. If I fast forward to a part, once I let go of FFW, it'll jump to 30 seconds before that!

Please note that I did NOT intentionally change any preferences (why would I?). Also, I made sure, and "Link Timeline and Edit Selection" is checked ON. Also, the little A-Z thing in the edit window is lit up yellow (which is how it should be). Whether I turn that thing on or off, nothing changes. Reboots don't help either.

Any suggestions? Why in the world would this happen?! Now I can't track, edit, or even playback properly due to this!

Please help as I have someone coming in to track some stuff tomorrow and I need this working asap. Thanks!

EDIT: This only happening in one certain session. i opened up other sessions and everything is completely fine. I am using Pro Tools 9 by the way.

Last edited:
I'll go ahead and answer my own question, since I just figured it out! :)

Hopefully this can be of help to anyone that stumbles upon it it serh of the same answer.

In the time ruler in the top portion of the edit window, there is normally a little blue double-headed aero-looking cursor line which marks where you cursor is, and plays from there. If you reach up to it and drag it over, a yellow cursor will come out from underneath. Wherever you drag it to (in my case in was somehow dragged to 30 before the blue line all of the sudden), t will play from there. I dragged it back to be centered with the blue cursor and all is fine now.

Thanks!

Thanks for posting an answer, and welcome to the world of ProTools:

"Where all the settings change when you look away for two seconds."

You know you can have it so if you hit space to start and stop, it always starts from the same place,
or it stops, then carries on from where it was?

I like it the first way; At least three of four times a session I have to go an look for the option to set it back.
No idea what changes it. :facepalm:

Was just kinda poking through this thread, glad you found the answer to the issues. As for the last comment Steenamaroo, I am almost sure I know what is causing your issue as it has happened to me a million times. If you run Pro tools with the AZ button in the edit window yellow then the "N" becomes a hot key for exactly what you are experiencing. It turns insert after playback on and off and is easily enough hit when going to hit the space bar. Just something to maybe shine some light on the mystery lol

Yup that's what i had posted in my original question of how my issue was not that yellow a-z thing. However Steen, I'm glad that fixes your problem!

Steen, yes, that's how mine is currently set up. When I hit play, if I stop and hit play again, it'll keep playing from that same spot where I originally placed my cursor, until i highlight something different or place my cursor somewhere else. In my last year of using Pro Tools, I've seen no reason (for me) to need/want it any other way.

Thanks guys!

Back