Creating a template/bus names in Pro Tools

Schwarzenyaeger

Formerly "Dog-In-Door"
I'm trying to create a template in Pro Tools.

My problem is that all my bus names are gone when I create an empty session. My usual saved settings are only available when I create an empty session and import files into it. I don't get it at all...

I also only have about 25 busses instead of 128 and they're all named "drums" and "keys" and whatever. I have absolutely no idea what is going on.

As far as I know, Protools remembers your device settings, I/O settings and bus settings on a per session basis.
This is why you get the 'I/O has changed' notification sometimes if you open a saved session that was last opened using different hardware.

To reset or rename your I/O (inc. buses), go to Setup>I/O.

The first thing to do would be to click the bus tab, select all, delete, then hit default.
That should populate the list with the default maximum number of buses. If you want to rename them from there that's up to you.

Personally, I just stick with bus1, bus 2 etc, so I'm not 100% sure if renaming them as above will stick permanently.
Perhaps you could let us know?

Hope that helps. :)

I've just been renaming them randomly whenever I need a new one (Guitars 1, Guitars 2, Snare...)
They are saved between sessions.

I understand that it chages whenever I/O is changed but I'm not changing my hardware. Is this just another one of those PT snafus?

I'll update this as I go.

1. I have changed all the buses to the names that I want
2. Created all the tracks I want
3. "Save as template" -> doesn't let me save it in the template folder because "I'm not the administrator" (lies)
4. Change the file from .ptxt to .ptt, can now suddenly drop it into the template folder
5. Can select from template selection
6. Doesn't do anything, PT just stay grey

edit: 7. Now Pro Tools won't start at all anymore.
I swear, if PT wasn't so popular, I'd desinstall it and never look back...

I'm that familiar with windows anymore, and in honesty I'm not really that familiar with saving session templates but I'd guess that

"I'm not the administrator" (lies)

this is the source of your problem. Whether it's true or not, something's causing that error message.
Have you googled it, in relation to your problem? Have you checked the folder in question? Does it, for some reason, have unique permissions settings? Could it be locked or something stupid?

I think I only ever saved a template once but, as I recall, it just worked.

Pro Tools stopped working entirely. It freezes the second I start it up, restarting the PC doesn't help either.

Lovely.
Hold N whilst starting up PT.
That'll let you select your audio interface before PT starts.

If that doesn't break the cycle, google how to trash preferences.
There's a handy automated tool to do the job on OSX. Not sure about windows.

It doesn't react to "N".
Trashed all the preferences, doesn't do anything either.

I guess that means I get to reinstall it...

Hmm. Nightmare.

Well, start from the bottom and work up.
Uninstall PT and reboot.
Reboot twice for good measure.
Hell, it's windows...You'll probably be forced to reboot three times anyway. :p

Read the installation guide, no matter how weak that makes you feel.
Make sure you're installing as administrator...all that jazz.

Did this setup ever work seamlessly for you?
Is it a new setup?
Is all your equipment compatible?
Do you have the right version for your operating system?

PT on windows is like so many things. When it works it's great and when it doesn't it's a needle in the haystack scenario.

I didn't do anything weird besides try and unsuccesfully create a template yesterday... :(

I haven't even deinstalled it yet and now it's try to install itself whenever I open a session file.

Does this kind of stuff happen in pro studios too? I can just imagine...
"Sorry, you'll have to wait two days until we reset all of our computers, lol"
"This is costing us 40 grand a day"
"S-sorry Mr. Rose, I was just trying to save a file"

I'll just terminate everything with CCleaner and start a new, I have all my session files saved on an external anyhow.

Does this kind of stuff happen in pro studios too? I can just imagine...

Negative.

That's why I asked all these questions...
Did this setup ever work seamlessly for you?
Is it a new setup?
Is all your equipment compatible?
Do you have the right version for your operating system?

There's gotta be something about your setup which is causing problems.
It'd be well worth checking the above, and reading avid's compatibility lists.
They aren't backward about saying we do not support the use of ProTools on systems with X,Y, or Z.
It's just that nobody ever bothers reading it.

Negative.

That's why I asked all these questions...

There's gotta be something about your setup which is causing problems.
It'd be well worth checking the above, and reading avid's compatibility lists.
They aren't backward about saying we do not support the use of ProTools on systems with X,Y, or Z.
It's just that nobody ever bothers reading it.

Yeah, that makes sense but the problem is that I've got to give you a negative on that.
It works for weeks on end, then I try to do something like create a template and it just terminates the entire program
I'll get back to you tomorrow when I've installed it again.

At the moment I'm trying to get Pro Tools Express working at a friend's place. It won't recognize his iLok.

Yeah, that makes sense but the problem is that I've got to give you a negative on that.
It works for weeks on end, then I try to do something like create a template and it just terminates the entire program
I'll get back to you tomorrow when I've installed it again.

There's always a reason. These things may seem random but nothing about a computer is random.
We still don't know if you're running the right version for your OS or if PT is compatible with your hardware.
What computer hardware, OS, PT version, interface, and interface drivers are you using?

At the moment I'm trying to get Pro Tools Express working at a friend's place. It won't recognize his iLok.

Run the interlock extensions installer. It might be called something different in windows.

We got the iLok to work, yay.

Pro Tools works again after re-installing it.
I just don't get why it does this every few weeks. :yawn:

Thanks for your help, steenamaroo.

We got the iLok to work, yay.

Pro Tools works again after re-installing it.
I just don't get why it does this every few weeks. :yawn:

Thanks for your help, steenamaroo.

No worries.
If I had to bet I'd say you'll be chasing your tail again pretty soon.
I hope you find the underlying cause.

Back