CPU usage limit question

walkperson

Hi folks

I posted this in newbies but got no reply.. perhaps someone here could help.

I'm using PT 7.3 with a Macbook Pro and am having some problems with the Playback.

when I record enable a track and start to record the track stops and asks me to increase my CPU usage limit or remove plugins'.

it's also given me this message :

''
cpu usage is holding off usb audio...remove some plug-ins , delete some tracks or increase the '' h/w buffer size' in the playback engine dialog (-9136) ''

I've adjusted the settings in the Playback Engine but keep getting the same problem...

It's kind of bothersome...

Also the audio waves lag behind the recording...it didn't do this before and computer's only new. perhaps i changed a setting unwittingly...

Any ideas? Do i need to get more gear. I'm not working with an external HD yet..

Thanks a lot

wp

Hi wp,

This seems to be a pretty common problem with Pro Tools, and there are a lot of different solutions depending on your set up. Recording to a separate, dedicated audio hard drive is usually the first step. Digidesign seem to constantly stress this as recording to your system drive draws on too many of the computer's resources.

Having said that, I know a lot of people over at the Digidesign forum (http://duc.digidesign.com) are having the problem even when recording to a dedicated audio drive. Sometimes the firewire interface cable that comes with the Pro Tools hardware is to blame... switching to a shorter cable has solved the issue for some people.

If you haven't been over to the Digidesign forum, I'd say try that. There's a lot of discussion going on, and Digi Tech support often join in on the posts.

THanks Rock God. It's been causing me some bother alright.

I haven't a dedicated External HD yet so that could be the problem.

I know a friend of mine had a similar problem with PT 7.4 and he seemed to think it was a bug in the software.

As it is I use USB not Firewire...could that be a contributing factor? Although I like PT so far it seems to have little problems like this. Because of this I'm using Garageband for the time being...but that's not compatible with Digidesign HD as far as I can see.

Thanks for advice

I'll head to that forum

wp

from the digi website, support section. Under not supported

"USB 2.0 Hard Drives
USB hard drives are NOT recommended or supported for use as recording drives. Limited testing has shown that performance with USB drives is inferior to that of FireWire drives."

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=100&navid=54&itemid=23140

I would say the usb external drive could definately be the culprit.

However, even if you do get a firewire drive the chipset of your firewire/usb controller can have an impact also, but getting a definitive answer on that seems hard.

From what i've read over at http://duc.digidesign.com they recommend nec or texas instrument chipsets.

Thanks WRCKD.

I have actually ordered a Firewire Ex HDD..it has eSata capacity so could jig around with my Express Card but I was hoping to do it with Firewire 800 first and foremost.

So, soon I'll have Firewire HD but may require chipset adaption...Grrrr.

Back