Constant pulse from plug-in.

keelerstein

Hi, me again, still a newbie, wandered if anybody could help. I am using Pro Tools HD9 Mac.
When I add an instrument plug-in to either an instrument track or an aux controlled via a midi track I get a constant pulse like an external controller is sending a constant message to the instrument. Strangely this does not apply to all the plugins.
Of the Digidesign ones both Mini Grand and Boom seem to be absolutely fine.
I have tried disconnecting all external midi devices but no change.
Any ideas? thanks.

Hmm, strange.

As unrelated as it seems (or may be), I always suggest trashing preferences at the first hint of a Protools glitch.
If you don't know how to do it, give it a google. There's a handy little app for it.

Which plugins are causing the problem?
Does the track meter show a constant signal as if there's an input?

Does this only happen during playback, or will it happen when you're live monitoring (ie.stopped, but track is record armed).

Hi, thanks for you reply. OK trashed prefs, no change.

Pretty much all Plug-ins are causing a problem bar a few. Boom, Mini grand and Kontakt 5 work perfectly. Vacuum and all the others I tried yesterday show this flaw. Strangely Battery 3 before loading a kit is showing a constant midi pulse but after loading an instrument behaves normally.
Not sure if Mini grand is sample based but its almost like all the sample based instruments work fine the others not!

The meter is showing the pulse. It is a midi signal that is triggering the instrument. As you switch through the presets of the particular instrument the sound will obviously change.

The problem is there through playback and live monitoring.

I'm not certain but I suspect there's something funny going on with your selected midi device.

Go to Setup > Midi > Midi devices and uncheck anything that isn't your primary midi port.
Go to Setup > Periperals > Midi controllers and set all to none.

In the mix window, make sure instrument IO is visible (menu at bottom left), then select All for midi input (very top) and none for midi output (just below it).

keep all your midi devices unplugged when you're doing this.
With any luck that'll get rid of your constant input stream.

Many thanks Steenamaroo, that was most helpful. I am automating my desk via Bomes midi translator. As soon as I unchecked the Bomes midi inputs in midi devices everything returned to normal. My system requires a midi device between Bomes and the desk, I will try using a different one, failing that will have to see if anybody on the Bome forum can help.

Ok, that's cool.
The Bomes thing probably sends a constant signal to maintain a connection or something. I know the digi hardware controls send a pulse and look for a certain response to keep the connection open.

Perhaps you can set up the bomes for midi channel one, and your actual midi input for channel two?

There are 16 channels available over one midi input, IIRC, but the default is set to listen on all channels.

Back