clearer and louder final mixes

jman1986

I am trying to get that clear and loud mix.

My mixes have been low, and not clear, maybe because i'm bouncing them wrong?

16bit > 44.1 is how i read to do it.

Does anyone no if there is simplly a plugin that is a treble control.
and also what mastering limiter do you think is a good one? i heard john masey has a good one.

any idea's?

thanks alot guys!

Though I would think you should consider 24/44 if you're doing more processing, a bounce at 16/44 should sound damned near the same is the soure/live mix.
Onec (if? :)) past that, a question would be if you are the one doing it and now hearing and seeing these changes are needed, can you use the tools in the mix setup to get there?

and also what mastering limiter do you think is a good one? i heard john masey has a good one.

any idea's?

thanks alot guys!

16bit/44.1kHz should be your destination file format - ie. that's what you bounce to.

Digi EQ 3 will do you for EQ work, and the Dynamics 3 Compressor will work as a limiter if you set the ratio high enough. The Massey limiter is also very good!

If the bass isn't controlled (is boomy for instance) it will make it so you can't seem to get the vocals loud and clear.

The thing in this area that helped me was getting a TC Electronic Finalizer.
What it does is give you three separate bands on compression/limiting, not just one, so you can have it limiting the low bass and still the vocals will pop out. Today there's got to be something that will do that for you - gives you three (at least) band compression... maybe a VST plug in(?).

Also, always use the highest recording bandwith right up until the very end when you mix to stereo.

wow thank you guys this is some great info! i am very happy with the response, i will give these idea's a try! :) thanks so much!

wow thank you guys this is some great info! i am very happy with the response, i will give these idea's a try! :) thanks so much!

One of the tools I use to get a feel for what it may sound like after it has been mixed and possibly mastered is Ozone 4. It's like a swiss army knife, but it should give what you are looking for. Comes with a decent set of presets... and you can try the real full deal for free.

any idea's?

thanks alot guys!

Mixies usualy are not that loud, loudness is gained with mastering. So don't worry about that.

A clear mix start form clear recorded material and ends with a proper balance within the instruments (volumes) and frequencies (eq).

Reaching a clear is moslty a matter of expirence.

samples would help bufgt in general if it's cloudy then you need to remix and post fix. Possibly add eq at end to clearify or add high end if instruments are not blending correctly but if you are a noob,I'd go back and look at your mixes first. Me, I start with drums. Kick, snare etc. Get those sounding good.Then, add one thing at a time being careful to really listen and be sure as you add you are still hearing what you want to hear and in a way( bright,punchy) you want to hear.

Hey Jman:

I've found IK multimedia's Tracks to be a great mastering tool on my pro tools rigs. Just check out their mastering suite. It includes EQ, Comp, Limiter, and presets. I got it with their "Total Studio Bundle", so I'm not sure of the price.

how is your room treated? I bet you get things sounding ok on what ever monitor system you are mixing on and then when you burn to CD and take it to your car, it sounds like shit??? Its probably more of a low freq build up than anything....try lowering the low end on everything that is not a bass instrument....lower everything from 400 to 500 on down, and see if your mixes clean up...and like mentioned before...dont worry if the volume of your mix isnt what you would expect from a commercial CD...that will be fixed during mastering...

ok all these responses, thank you all so much! I was shocked to see this thread still going...lol

right now i don't really care about the volume issue like u guys are saying, but with much EQ work, starting off really slow with snar, kick, and such working all the way up to vocals, my mix does sound clearer and i now have a better understanding of how to make a mix "clearer".

Back