Cheapest PT version? Mac/PC differences?

Agent47

Dismember
Ok, I've worked in audio post-pro for nearly 10 years, and barely touched PT. I've managed to spend my career using DAR, Fostex Foundation, Akai, Nuendo and Sadie systems - I've done a tiny bit of freelancing using PT, but not much. (for my music work at home I use Cubase SX3)

Anyway, now's probably the time to know PT as I'm looking around at other facilities, and I have the M-audio Audiophile 192 card which I know will work with PT.

1 .What's the cheapest version of PT I can get, simply to learn the system? I want to get up to speed with editing on PT, so I'm as quick as I am with Sadie and Cubase. Are there different flavours of M-Powered PT?

2. Also, I'll be using it on my PC at home. Is the PC version wildly different to the Mac version, or is it simply control-click versus right-click?

So basically I'm looking at getting PT at home simply for learning the system. Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

1 .What's the cheapest version of PT I can get, simply to learn the system? I want to get up to speed with editing on PT, so I'm as quick as I am with Sadie and Cubase. Are there different flavours of M-Powered PT?

2. Also, I'll be using it on my PC at home. Is the PC version wildly different to the Mac version, or is it simply control-click versus right-click?

1. The cheapest version for you would be to buy a license for M-Powered. There's only 1 version of M-Powered (as far as i'm aware!).

2. There are subtle difference, in how the shift, alt, control and "apple" all interact with each other, however the quickest way to using Pro Tools is in "keyboard focus" mode, and these quick keys are all the same with PC and Mac. here's a tip: buy the sticker set for PT from Editors Keys and use those. It makes learning the commands much easier and quicker, and if you're still struggling a bit with them when you get a session you can always bring your keyboard in with ya ;)

Cool. It looks like M-Powered is the way to go. Then I can get up to speed on the editing and little nuances of the programme. Having it at home I can learn in my own time - I may even start doing music projects on it (most of my stuff is MIDI based).

How good is the MIDI in PT these days? I remember people used to criticise the MIDI on it. Is it comparable to Cubase? Better? Just wondering!

:)

I haven't personally played with the MIDI in latest 7.x versions...but I've been impressed on what they're saying they have recently done with it. It seems like they've really tried to step it up.

Take a look at this
http://protoolsforum.com/WhatIsNew.html

And browse the Digi site. There's some videos talking about some of the new features and what you can do in Pro Tools 7.x

Back