Can I use ProTools with Multitrack Recorder

ckstovall

I was wondering if anyone has recorded on a multitrack machine and then moved the files to a computer to mix/edit using ProTools?

If not, can someone advise me of a suitable program that would work this way?

Thank you very much....:confused:

yes you can. most likely you will have to transfer it in real time though. Depending on the recorder too you'll probably have to do a track by track transfer

Yes sir. I did an entire album that way. It's a little bit of a pain in the ass, but here's how we did it. First insert about 5 seconds of click track into the beginning of track #1.(a digital metronome works really well for this- we used a Korg PXR4 Pandora. Then copy the click insert to all the other tracks. Then transfer the tracks to Pro Tools, 2 at a time, by S/PDIF (assuming your recorder has digital out) . Then manually line up the click tracks visually in Pro Tools, therby synch'ing all the tracks. Then erase the click tracks. This will allow you to transfer all the tracks digitally with no loss of data. Two tracks at a time, in real time. Like I said, it's a pain in the ass, but it worked. My album "Reunion" was entirely recorded on a Roland VS1824CD, and mixed in Pro Tools.-Richie

Back