Can I slide a whole session at once?

HapiCmpur

I left a big space at the beginning of my very first Pro Tools session in case I wanted to add an instrumental intro later. Now that I've dismissed the idea of an intro, I'd like to lock all the tracks together and slide them to the beginning of the session. I tried highlighting the whole shebang hoping that I could slide it backward with the Grabber tool, but I find that I lose the highlighting as soon as I grab at it. What's the proper way to accomplish this task?

Hey.
1st up, why bother? It makes no different since you select the region you want to bounce, right?

Anyways, real answers.
If you go to the 'groups' box (bottom left of screen - you might have to expand the view out to see it), click the option to group all.
Now you should be able to move everything the way you described above.

If it still releases your selection when you click, dragging a region that is the full track length. If there isn't one, consolidate your bass or something and use it.

My memory is hazy but I think you can make your region selection and then click on 'spot' mode. It should prompt you to enter a location, so try entering 00:00:00. That might work.

Off the top of my head you might even be able to just select the silent area and delete it in shuffle mode; I'm not certain about that one.

In Reaper I just press CTRL-A and drag everything together (ensuring snap to grid is on). Does Pro-Tools not have similar functionality?

Just checked it at my PT setup.

Do what you're doing, but hold command when you go to drag.
If you're not on a mac it'll be a different modifier. Have a play and see.

I left a big space at the beginning of my very first Pro Tools session in case I wanted to add an instrumental intro later. Now that I've dismissed the idea of an intro, I'd like to lock all the tracks together and slide them to the beginning of the session. I tried highlighting the whole shebang hoping that I could slide it backward with grabber tool, but I find that I lose the highlighting as soon as I grab at it. What's the proper way to accomplish this task?

Hi, here's what I do.

1. Select "All" group.
2. Use "Grabber" tool to grab tracks.
3. Select all (apple+a key) mac or (ctrl+a) pc
4. Use grabber to slide.
Done. Hope that helps.

Back