Best equipment set up for Pro Tools?

Willyc510

I am about to buy a bare bones kit from Tigerdirect and I wanted to know if it will all work out.
I want to be able to record 8 tracks simultaneously

Intel i7 Processor with 3.5 GHz
8GB RAM
1 TB 7200 RPM Hard Drive
EVGA GeForce GT 620 01G-P3-2621-KR Video Card (does this even matter?)
USB 3.0 Ports (is fire-wire that much better?)
Windows 8 OS

Do I need another hard drive? (I'm only recording 8 tracks)

And then if that sounds good, What is the best 8-Tracks Audio Interface for around 500-600 dollars that I should get?

Thanks for anyone who can give me their opinion!

ProTools (Avid) are publish lists of 'qualified hardware'.

If something's not on the list it doesn't necessarily mean it wont work, but I'm pretty sure it means they wont help you.

It might be worth checking out their lists?

I would check out the avid compatibility page, as suggested, i would'nt touch win8 with a mac. Maybe an m audio 2626 if latency isnt critical. i never run a single drive in a recording rig, set up win and your programs on 1 hd, other hd for tracks. just my 2c worth.

Well just realized this thread is two years old about halfway thru commenting but I'll give it a shot anyways... So first suggestion is get a 120-132GB SSD to boot from and install pro-tools on. Than configure protools to export or otherwise save everything to you HDD. This will insure pro-tools launches and runs faster in general. Secondly I'd suggest upgrading the gpu... although the gpu (graphics card) you've chosen does meet pro-tools minimum requirements... (at least last I checked) it is simply a disgrace to run a 96 CUDA core gpu alongside an i7 cpu. ;)

But honestly my best experiences with protools have always been while working on it with a multimonitor setup which is something that GPU just shouldnt even try to pull off. For protools I personally wouldnt consider anything less than this...

EVGA 02G-P4-2743-KR GeForce GT 740 Superclocked 2GB 128-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card - Newegg.com

with two of these bad boys

Acer V226HQLAbmdp Black 21.5" 8ms Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 100,000,000:1 - Newegg.com

That is all...

Back