Aux Track QUestion

grkblood13

ok, as you're about to see im very new to protools. My question is about the aux track. When I create an aux track on bus whatever and add affects the the aux track what is actually playing. When I turn down the aux track all the way I can still hear the original tracks. How do I just listen to the aux track with the affects instead of both of them at the same time.

When I turn down the aux track all the way I can still hear the original tracks.

Of course you're gonna hear the track... when you're SENDING your signal to an Aux track what you're doing is passing a dry wave. Then the Aux can RETURN an amount of the effect to the track.

I don't know how you're working but you can do some test playing with the amount of signal you're SENDING and the amount of RETURN from the Aux track.

so the volume control on the aux track really isnt volume? it instead is the amount of effect I want to add? If this is the case then as far as volume levels go I should adjust the original tracks volume levels right?

There are two ways you can send audio to an aux track for processing. First, by setting the output of an audio track to a buss and making the input the same buss on the aux track.

OR, the more common way is to create a send, which basically just copies the audio and routes it to the aux track. You typically do it this way so you have your original audio track sound AND an effects track (ie. a reverb or something). It gives you more control this way over how much effect is mixed with the dry signal. The aux fader controls the level of the effected signal. You still control the original dry signal with the audio tracks fader.

I hope that makes sense.
:confused:

Yeah, you're starting to get it! Great!

You SEND Track 1 to an AUX. Let's say you haver reverb on this AUX 5. You put 100% of effect on it. So, your track 1 is receiving 100% of reverb. Now, if you want less... just adjust the level (I said level, not volume) of the AUX 5. In this way you can have control when you're mixing on the go. Maybe you have a snare, two guitars and a bass that need the same amount of reverb. Just route all track to AUX 5. Just imagine how hard would it be to adjust levels individually!!! That's the (main) reason of auxiliary tracks.

Hope this info will help you. Aska away if you have any other question.

ok, well since I'm not actually seeing how this affects the signal, i.e. difference effects, what is the best way to go about adjusting the level of the original tracks. I know you can always do it by ear but what other way are there to assist you in this matter in protools. I say you can't see whats happening to the track b/c the effect is being processed in the aux, not on the actual original signal.

also, it seems like not all tracks are being effected by the aux track. Like say i got three tracks going into the aux and i have a delay put on there. SHouldnt all three tracks be delayed in unison? cause its not working that way.

Try using some effect that is more noticeable than the reverb... replace the effect for a heavy distortion. In this way you can hear how the original signal is affected. Luck

i am, im testing it with a pitch shifter one just one track soloed. it like its effecting the track but at the same time the original track is still playing in the background. ill upload a pic i a sec.

mix.jpg
[/IMG]

ya, but its like the saem time i can here the original track 1 in the background without the effect. kinda like the effect is playing on top of the aux track. unless thats the way its supposed to be but with other programs ive used thats not the case.

that is the way it's supposed to be. If you don't want it to be that way either mute the track, and set the send to prefader.....or just change the output of the track to bus 1 and get rid of all the sends (more common)

Again, see my post above about the different ways to use aux tracks.
Generally if you are using time based effects you want to blend the effected with the original....so you would use a send.
If you are using something like a pitch shift or dynamic based effects (like the EQ or compressor) and want to effect a bunch of tracks at once (to help save on processing power), you just set the outputs to the input of the aux track. This is called subgrouping.

Back