Auto-Tune vs. Melodyne

Melodyne is really cool. It takes your monophonic wave and plots it out on a piano roll. You can just grab syllables and move them around very dynamically. To my ears, there are less artifacts, and its very easy to use it to create complex harmonies.

The only drawback I could see is that it doesn't really do a realtime on the fly correction like antares can, but then again, even in antares, i usually used the graphical mode as opposed to automatic anyways.

I prefer melodyne. I generally record some vocal takes, do a comp if I have to, and then once I have a full track I bring it into melodyne. I find it much easier to use than Autotune's graphical mode, and far superior to Autotune's automatic. There is an automatic mode in Melodyne too, but in general I try to use it on very specific spots, because even Melodyne will leave artifacts occasionally.

I've not worked with Melodyne myself but I watched an engineer use it. It's fantastic! Virtually undetectable pitch changes and visually easy to use.

Rusty K

Back