Audio ?

Dinny

I just got protools I have the Mbox2 , I can hear the protools but thats it , my itunes , my eneternet i can not here I know some one who had the same problem but he does not remember how he fixed it . I went in to my sounds and audio and put ever thing to my mbox2 and nothing , yeah & the book does not help at all . Help a brother out please . Im workong on windows XP .

Last edited:
Do you mean you can't hear itunes whilst pro tools is open, or is at all?

So to go over it again, but you've definately go into control panel>sounds and audio>audio tab and the set the default playback device to your mbox?

I'm interested in this one too. I'm running XP as well and I still have my old soundcard working. I tried to select the Mbox as default in every place I could find but it only takes over "duty" when I launch PT. I've got an A/B box to switch the signal to my monitors.

Right now I'm ok with it. I figured that since I was new to PT it might be a good idea to keep my other card working so that I could jump back to my old software editor when needed. If I could use the Mbox for everything that would be great but I haven't figured out how.

A friend told me to uninstall my old card. Is that the solution?

Rusty K

Icant hear anything but my protools i went to the controle panel and set the the voice playback and the sound play back to the mbox but still i only hear whats in my protools . I know it can be fixed because like i said i know some one that had the same problem its just that he got his setup a year ago and he don't remember what he did to fix it .

nah you don't have to uninstall your old card, although I just noticed mine is. I can't find any official doc that says you need to, but if you want to try it:

Right click my computer and go to properties>hardware tab>device manager. Expand sound video and game controllers and find your "other" sound card. Right click and disable.

if that doesn't work you might not have the digidesign wave driver installed

Download from

http://archive.digidesign.com/download/wave/

more info

http://archive.digidesign.com/support/docs/WaveDriver_Usage_Guide.pdf

Last edited:
Wreckd504

Right click my computer and go to properties>hardware tab>device manager. Expand sound video and game controllers and find your "other" sound card. Right click and disable.

So disable is not the same as uninstall? In other words if for some reason I wanted that card back I'd just have to enable it again? And Mbox will become my default?

Rusty K

Thanks,

Let me give that a try and post back with results.

Hey I just checked the link you sent and I'm runningLE 7.1 and 7.0 was the newest offered for download.

Rusty K

This is from the link to the guide.pdf you posted.

WaveDriver is not multi-client. Only one application at a time can use the WaveDriver. Be sure to disable the Windows
system sounds. It is also recommend that you use a separate sound card for games or other general work. For third-party
soft-synthesizer and samplers, use the Digidesign ASIO Driver (refer to the ASIO Driver Usage Guide).

It makes me think I should leave my system the way it is for now.

Rusty K

during your pro tools installation did it ask if you wanted to install the wave driver?

[no sarcasm] I highly recommend the use of google

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=digidesign+wave+driver+7.1&meta=

lead me to

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/support/docs/WaveDriver_Usage_Guide_25693.pdf

That quote you posted means you can't have pro tools open and use media player at the same time, or anything else. Pro Tools grabs hold of the sound card, hence not multi client. I've no idea why they would recommend a separate sound card for anything else, i use my 002 for everything, saves me switching back and forward.

For the OP there is instructions for use with itunes on page 7 of this doc

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/support/docs/Windows_Audio_Drivers_712_30961.pdf

Last edited:
wreckd504,

According to the latest link you posted with 7.1 the wave driver is installed as (default). I really don't remember but I'm sure I chose a "standard" install. I had no reason to do a custom install. That same quote was also on the user guide page linked.

Rusty K

If you have;

- the correct drivers
- xp settings configured
- all plugs/hardware connected correctly,

I don't think there is anything else. Page three of the Digidesign WaveDriver Usage Guide covers "Configuring WaveDriver for Windows Media Player and Other Third-Party WaveDriver Programs".

Page 4 describes editing the registry to add the WaveDriver to the opt in list. You could try this, just be careful not to edit the wrong registry value.

Anyone else got any ideas? My guess is one of those three things mentioned above isn't correct.

Dinny - Did you manage to get your itunes working?

okay I got my itunes to play thats what I needed but when im on line i cant hear nothing with the mbox. The funny thing tho i set my sound back to reg so i can here out of the PC speakers and i forgot to reset it back to the mbox and protools still played ( not on my PC speakers on the mbox with the monitors ) so me being that Im one of those " let me see something dudes ' i pulled up itunes and had that playing at the same time out of the PC speakers. So I guess no matter what the mbox is going to work with protools weather i have it set in my sounds & audio or not .

Last edited:
Thats right,sounds & audio control (generally) all audio outside protools. Which I guess may be why they recommend a second sound card, so you can hear two sources at once because the wave driver isn't multi client. I've never needed to hear anything other than PT when i'm working, and if I did I would either close PT or import the audio into PT if I needed to hear it.

What do you mean when you're online you can't hear anything? Do you mean in your web broswer websites have no sound?

Good to hear itunes is working. So it was the drivers?

Ummmm I clicked on the link I just posted and it took me right to the download...duh! It wasn't a link on the page I snagged it from. I'll let you know how it works.

Update....corrupted file.

Rusty K

Last edited:
Back