apparent level discrepancy in PT

THX1136

Bonehead
I am working on some prerecorded tracks with the intention of transferring them to disc. To help some of the balance issues I put the compressor across the master fader. I arrived at a good point where I was pulling around 2 - 3 dB which improved the overall sound of the mix. I adjusted the makeup gain (about 2 dB) and things seemed to sound good. I wasn't much paying attention to what was happening visually; just listening. Part way through a listen I noticed that the master levels had peaked. I figured maybe it happened when I started or stopped playback at some point which I have had happen on rare occasions. Started playback again and part way through it got into the red. The compressor's output meter was not showing any overs with the peaks there falling around -2 to -1 dB below 0.

My question is why are the main fader levels peaking when the compressor's makeup gain meter is not showing the peaks? I am running an EQ after the compressor pulling 3 dB at 2700 and a boost of 2 dB at 130 with a Q of .78. It just occurred to me while I typed this that this could be the explanation. Thanks for any insight anyone can offer.

remember, on master fader tracks the inserts are post-fader. This differs from regular audio tracks which run the inserts pre-fader.

so you're saying when the master fader meter clips, your compressor output meters are reading -2dB lower?
When you take the EQ off the inserts (or bypass it) what happens? Does it still clip?
Is the master fader set to unity?
Which compressor plugin is this? Are you working with a TDM or LE system?

That's what it is Benny. I was visualizing the signal flow from top to bottom - inserts on the master being pre-fader. I knew it would be something simple I just wasn't getting. Thank you for the insight and help!

As to your other questions: EQ in or out or before the compressor (comp insert b; eq insert c or vice versa) - no difference. Master fader at unity. It's the compressor that comes with PT. I'm using the free version (it's what I can afford and does what I need at the moment).

Fair enough - I thought so too, I was just gonna say that PT Free is ancient, and PT M-Powered demo is quite limited. Wow it felt good to post after so long... How is everyone?!

It may be ancient, but it works for me. By the way, did I mention it was what I could afford. I know, I am WAY behind, but $250 for even LE is more than I can muster what with medical bills (my wife is disabled), cost of gas and food, and other responsibilities that I face. I know you folks didn't mean anything by the mention. No worries!

I wish I could buy the "latest and greatest", but until my life situation changes in a rather dramatic fashion I'll have to stick with PT Free. Actually coupling that with GarageBand I can do most of the stuff I need to - what I can't do challenges my ingenuity to make stuff work. Never underestimate limitations - at times they can be a huge benefit.

Back