Apparent CPU or HDD overloads

Schwarzenyaeger

Formerly "Dog-In-Door"
https://imgur.com/8CNgQ9x

I get this message about two dozen times a day at random intervals. I can't seem to find a causation. It sometimes pops up with one track, sometimes with sixty. According to PT, only 15% of my CPU is being used. Task manager agrees and I'm using an SSD. The official Pro Tools website only has a dead link when I click on help.

For some reason I never run into this problem running the exact same sessions on my much weaker laptop.

I get it too.
Probably just put up with it and be grateful that ProTools doesn't blast you with a burst of audio about one in ten times when you click on the timeline.......
I get that too.

:p

It's so annoying when it happens during the perfect take :facepalm:
Luck of the draw, I guess :drunk:

Oooooh, that's interesting. I get it during editing/playback but never during recording.
Damn, that is annoying man :(

Did it just start doing it recently or what? Trash the preferences and see if that helps.

Are you recording to the SDD or to a standard Hard drive?

I would guess you are having some kind of data traffic issue (on the MB). You might try and changing where your drives are plugged into. Make sure they are not on the same controller on the MB. Unless Pro is giving a false error message.

Another guess could be (I would try this first) change your buffer setting on your Interface. Just up one level.

There are all guesses, but with the CPU usage you are reporting, and if you are retrieving data from the SDD, there has to be an issue either with the MB controllers or the buffer setting not having enough data ready when it needs it.

I'm recording to the SSD.
The buffer thing never really helped, unfortunately :/

And how would I go about doing this MB controller jumbo jimbo?

Don't work on the boot drive.

OS, apps an plugins on boot drive.
Separate secondary drive for projects and tracks
Third separate drive for sample libraries.

Ssd's aren't magic. Your computer is doing lots of other things besides daw'ing...

Don't work on the boot drive.

OS, apps an plugins on boot drive.
Separate secondary drive for projects and tracks
Third separate drive for sample libraries.

Ssd's aren't magic. Your computer is doing lots of other things besides daw'ing...

I always heard that this was an urban myth.
Like in the 90s when HDs were still shit, recording on two was the norm but newer ones are barely even affected by the workload.

Schwarzenyaeger, Did you trash the preferences, and did it help?

The multi hard drive stuff is great advice for people running very old hardware or for people who are working on very heavy sessions.
To anyone else it's just overkill, especially where SSDs are being used.

Out of interest, have you used one, Tim?

I'm scared to trash them.
Won't I have to reset a bunch of things?

It hasn't bugged up on me since that last time. I'm hesitant to do this.

Find where those files are, copy them over to another place so you have them if you need them.

I'm scared to trash them.
Won't I have to reset a bunch of things?

It hasn't bugged up on me since that last time. I'm hesitant to do this.

If it's playing ball now then maybe don't bother, but if you ever do decide to trash the prefs it's not really anything to worry about.
It'll reset things like recently opened sessions and a couple of other things, but nothing major.

Once in a while I'll trash them if PT is being glitchy. It really is the first thing to try for pretty much any PT issue.

I'll keep it in mind if it crashes again.

It was running very stable today on a large session that was over 8 minutes long.
I cleaned my SSD up a bit yesterday. Maybe that was all it took.

CPU Overload

Imgur

I get this message about two dozen times a day at random intervals. I can't seem to find a causation. It sometimes pops up with one track, sometimes with sixty. According to PT, only 15% of my CPU is being used. Task manager agrees and I'm using an SSD. The official Pro Tools website only has a dead link when I click on help.

For some reason I never run into this problem running the exact same sessions on my much weaker laptop.

I know Why I'm getting CPU Overload. It's because of all the plugins I'm using. I haven't learned how to set up a buss, to consolidate by plugins. Can anyone help me with the process of setting up a buss with Protools? stevelemonakis@yahoo.com

I can certainly help with that.
The idea is this : Instead of having, say, 4 audio tracks with a reverb on each, you just have four audio tracks and one aux track with a reverb on it instead.

The audio tracks are routed to your main output as normal, but you also put a send on each track to bus 1+2, for example.
Each send (click on it) will have a fader and a pre/post option. Turn the send faders up, as they're down by default.
Now set the input of your aux track to bus 1+2.

Now the audio from each audio track will go to main outs dry and also to the aux track, through the reverb (100% wet) and then on to the main outs.

The aux track fader controls the master reverb level, and the individual send faders control individual reverb levels.

If the sends are post fader, then ^ that's that.
If you want the reverb level to be adjusted in proportion to each tracks fader as well, then set the sends to pre.
Make sense?

Doesn't pro have a freeze track? Seems like someone else told of this feature, I now use it in the DAW is use and glad someone told me what it was. If so, that function renders the audio and doesn't require the plugins to be live (like rendering to a track, but faster and easier). Saves a lot of CPU if you use it.

I would consider learning about how one uses routing and consolidating plugins. Becomes much cleaner approach.

OK, looks like you have to bounce the track and bring it back it. That seems rather strange for such an advanced DAW not to support.

Back