Any way to get around the interface deal?

elenore19

Slowing becoming un-noob.
I want pro-tools, I can afford pro-tools. I can NOT afford the interface in order to use pro-tools.
Anyone know of a way to get around this?

If this is too "illegal," I'm sorry. I'll close the thread right away.

I'm pretty sure we're allowed to discuss topics, just no links or anything like that. But if anyone knows of anything, that would be sweet.

Thanks for the help.

How much can you buy the Pro Tools software for?

On Ebay Australia, M-powered software is 295AUD.

A 2nd hand M-box mini + Pro Tools LE 7.4 is 275AUD.

A new M-box micro + Pro Tools LE 7.4 is 285AUD.

(not including shipping)

*Sorry, more research shows M-powered can be bought for 152USD, which works out to be considerably less than buying an interface as well.

Last edited:
How much can you buy the Pro Tools software for?

On Ebay Australia, M-powered software is 295AUD.

A 2nd hand M-box mini + Pro Tools LE 7.4 is 275AUD.

A new M-box micro + Pro Tools LE 7.4 is 285AUD.

(not including shipping)

*Sorry, more research shows M-powered can be bought for 152USD, which works out to be considerably less than buying an interface as well.
I need to have 8 simultaneous inputs at the same time. So that jacks the price of whatever I'm looking to get. I've done my research on prices, I'm just wondering if there is an alternate interface I could use.

um, which hardware interface are you looking at for 8 inputs?
if you want Pro Tools LE...all the Digi interfaces COME WITH Pro Tools. You spend the 1K for the interface you get the software included. Hell, I'm sure you can find a used 002 for even cheaper than that now.

the software for M-Powered is like 200 bucks. If you want a hardware unit that has 8+ I/O on it you're going to have to spend a little bit of money...or find a used one selling for cheap. It's really that simple. You need the physical I/O so you're going to have to buy one. There is no way around it. You can ask for all the software cracks in the world but unless you have an interface that supports 8 analog inputs, it doesn't matter.

Save up your money. M-Audio Delta 1010LT...200 bucks for 10 inputs.

I saw a 002 go for 800AUD (which is practically 1:1 of the US dollar at the moment)

What interface do you have? Does it have light pipe?

I have an Alesis Multimix 16 firewire mixer. I've been using it for years now and it's fantastic. If I could use this with Protools it would be fantastic. So does anyone know of anything about getting around the interface deal? I can get protools for cheap used in my hometown here, so if I can get around the interface deal then I could save a good $1000.

I have an Alesis Multimix 16 firewire mixer. I've been using it for years now and it's fantastic. If I could use this with Protools it would be fantastic. So does anyone know of anything about getting around the interface deal? I can get protools for cheap used in my hometown here, so if I can get around the interface deal then I could save a good $1000.

ProTools is way overrated.

Consider Reaper. There's even a forum on this board.

I'd really have to disagree with that.

After switching from Sonar to pro tools and doing 101 and 110, I'd really have to say that the editing capabilities of pro tools surpass most similar programs out there.

Now the way the company basically handcuffs users with hardware and extorts them in to buying all sorts of upgrades, that's another thing entirely. I'd say for everything except midi, protools blows away the competition. For midi, logic is still king.

I'll add that unless you're VERY serious about professional recording, or post production, you might want to stay away from protools because of said lame business practices, and the simple fact that unless you're using protools professionally and are serious about learning it, you won't need/use all the robust features.

and to think alotta people talk about cubase and the dongle.... hell with profools the interface IS the Dongle...

ProTools is way overrated.

Consider Reaper. There's even a forum on this board.

Your in the pro tools forum, you really think anyone cares about talking about which is better? I float between nuendo and pt le 7.4, I like both.

That mixer doesn't have ADAT (lightpipe) so you don't have any options (I think). I've got a few friends using an RME fireface and a digi 002 connected via adat, so they can use PT but with out its pre's. Unfortunately, I can't see any way of linking your hardware to a digi interface.

That being said, 002's go for about 500-600US

http://cgi.ebay.com/Digidesign-Digi...kparms=72:552|39:1|65:12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com/Digidesign-Digi...kparms=72:552|39:1|65:12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

oh the wonderful Reaper lovers....they just like to run around from section to section preaching their love for that program.
despite their supposed hatred for Pro Tools they do like to hang around in this section a lot
:rolleyes:

oh the wonderful Reaper lovers....they just like to run around from section to section preaching their love for that program.
despite their supposed hatred for Pro Tools they do like to hang around in this section a lot
:rolleyes:

First, this thread popped up in the New Posts list when I saw it. Yeah, it's in the PT forum but I don't think there are any rules, written or not, about talking about other products.

Second, I didn't say I hated PT, I said it was overrated. Maybe that's not quite accurate. You can do almost anything you need to do recording wise in most software packages. Thus, the advantages of PT is pretty slim. It's just not that much better. It's certainly not indispensable.

Third, I never said I loved Reaper, never endorsed it, never said it was better than anything else. All I said was, "Consider..." That means think about it.

You know what would be a useful post from a PT expert in response to a Reaper lover? Something comparing and contrasting the relative merits and disadvantages. But that would be work.

I didn't say I hated PT, I said it was overrated. Maybe that's not quite accurate. You can do almost anything you need to do recording wise in most software packages. Thus, the advantages of PT is pretty slim.

Would the fact that you've recorded something on any of the popular non-protools programs be an obstacle if you wanted to outsource the mastering of your tracks?

JTC111 said:
Would the fact that you've recorded something on any of the popular non-protools programs be an obstacle if you wanted to outsource the mastering of your tracks?

See? That's a good reason to want PT, if you're collabing with someone who can only work in PT.

I want pro-tools, I can afford pro-tools. I can NOT afford the interface in order to use pro-tools.

So when you say you want PT, what's driving that?

See? That's a good reason to want PT, if you're collabing with someone who can only work in PT.

I actually have another good reason as to why I use ProTools rather than another program: I have a friend who's a PT guru of sorts and can usually fix any problem I'm having over the phone.

But going back to my previous question, I suppose if you're going to do your own recording, mixing, and mastering, then you can use any program you want. But if you're going to outsource any of those steps, I'm guessing you're more likely to run into Protools than the other programs. Feel free to smack me in the head if I'm wrong about that.

Any sequencer can output tracks to plain .wav files that ANYTHING else can read.

But if you insist on using ProTools you lock yourself into the ProTools universe.
Get over it, drag out your checkbook or get a temp job to afford the hardware and move on....

First, this thread popped up in the New Posts list when I saw it. Yeah, it's in the PT forum but I don't think there are any rules, written or not, about talking about other products.

Second, I didn't say I hated PT, I said it was overrated. Maybe that's not quite accurate. You can do almost anything you need to do recording wise in most software packages. Thus, the advantages of PT is pretty slim. It's just not that much better. It's certainly not indispensable.

Third, I never said I loved Reaper, never endorsed it, never said it was better than anything else. All I said was, "Consider..." That means think about it.

You know what would be a useful post from a PT expert in response to a Reaper lover? Something comparing and contrasting the relative merits and disadvantages. But that would be work.

yeah, but you wandered in here and posted your response as if the original poster actually asked "which program should I get?"
He specifically came in here to ask Pro Tools users about ways to get around Digi's "dongle." I guess I don't see why an automatic response to that question would be "consider Reaper"...of course that seems to be the response in many PT specific threads by people who like Reaper.
It'd be like me going over to the Reaper section and posting "Consider Pro Tools" in a lot of random threads.

Personally I don't care what anyone uses. I use what I like and what I know. I even have Reaper on my machine here and have played around with it...it just doesn't click with me. Maybe Pro Tools is overrated to some, but for some odd reason tons of us still prefer to use it. There must be something Digi is doing right other than just good marketing :)

yeah, but you wandered in here and posted your response as if the original poster actually asked "which program should I get?"

Again, I didn't wander in here. I replied to a New Post thread search result. I read the thread, and especially the OP's posts.

The OP said they had a 16 channel Alesis FW interface and they needed to record eight tracks at once but was unclear, silent really, on the reason they wanted to use PT. You are perfectly aware that she will not be able to use that interface with PT. Maybe the current software has limited channel counts, who knows, but the poster wants to record eight channels with an Alesis. Lots of ways to skin that cat, and PT ain't one of them.

C'mon, you act like it's wrong to suggest something someone might not have thought of.

Back