003rack simultaneous input while record?

Treskalle

Hey. Read around the internet. Didn't find any concrete answer. So I post it here.

I must say after reading about it for several weeks, I really want one. 003Rack. There are 8 Analog inputs (4 XLR/DI and 4 LINE/DI(?)) haven't really gone into advanced digital recording, but I've read you can have 8 more simultaneous inputs(digital). Wonder how to connect and use it. What kind of cables and AD converters you might need for this? Is it SPDIF or Optical out? Any other information about this unit is very welcome as well!

thanks in advance!

In fact you have 10 extra simultaneous inputs, 8 via optical ADAT, and 2 via SPDIF, so you can record 18 simultaneous inputs with a Digi 002/003, and have 18 simultaneous outputs, however to do this first youll need an A/D converter such as the Alesis AI3 which is now discontinued, i got mine on e-bay. The cool thing about the AI3 is that its AD and DA at the same time, and its cheap!

http://www.alesis.com/ai3

To use the SPDIF, youll need another converter, a 2 channel AD, and those are easier to find, from various price ranges.

Be aware that the ADAT protocol is only capable of transfering 8 channels at a maximum sample rate of 48KHz. 24bits, if you go beyond that, ADAT will start reducing the amount of channel capability, in fact protools doesnt give you the option to record via ADAT if your sample rate is above 48khz.

SPDIF doesnt have this problem.

If you have a low budget you can buy a trashed ADAT which converters are still working and use that as ADA, for the SPDIF you can get a DAT machine and use it for the SPDIF.

Regarding your FW question, you only need to connect 1 of the ports, the other port is like a bridge in case your computer only has 1 FW port, so you can connect something like a FW Hard Drive to that second port.

You just made me alot smarter! Thank you!

Regarding your FW question, you only need to connect 1 of the ports, the other port is like a bridge in case your computer only has 1 FW port, so you can connect something like a FW Hard Drive to that second port.
That is brilliant!

Back