VF160ex: Can I run a previously recorded track through an external compressor?

Funereal

Any help would be much appreciated. I tried to follow the manual and use an external compressor (Alesis unit) with the INSERT input and a Y-cable as described on track 7/15. I don't have experience with this and after trying every which way, with a mic also running into the same 7/15 channel at the same time, without and so on, got nowhere. I ended up recording the vocal track minus the external compressor.

I'm now left with the question whether there is a way to run the recorded track (for example track 15) through the external compressor and dump the now-compressed track onto a new channel (for example track 7)?

Any advice would be much appreciated as I'm at a loss with this and right now the Alesis compressor unit is paper weight.

I have an MR16 which has AUX OUT sockets specifically for this purpose. I allocate a recorded track to Aux 1 or Aux2 and, using mono patch leads, feed the signal into Input A and Input B via the piece of kit to modify the signal (e.g. a compressor)
Can you play back recorded tracks while recording onto other tracks in the unit? If so, perhaps, you could use the Monitor Out, feed it through the compressor and re-record the modified signal on to two spare tracks.

I am not familiar with the VF160 but this might work.

Thank you very much, will try this in the next few days. On another note, how does one record with the compressor running into the INSERT input as suggested in the manual? I have a Radio Shack Y cable which I hooked up to the In/Output of my Alesis 3630 comp and also ran a mic into the XLR input of the same channel. According to the manual this shouldve worked, but I got nothing. Id like to record the next track with compression on it already.

Don't really get what I did wrong.

Is there a particular or special type of Y cable I need? Mine is a female 1/4 end split into two male 1/4s

Is there a particular or special type of Y cable I need? Mine is a female 1/4 end split into two male 1/4s
Should it not be a male stereo split into two male mono?

In my suggestion you record the "raw" signal on to two tracks. Play back those tracks via the Monitor Output to your compressor and record back in the VF160 on to two empty tracks. In this way the compressor is used post recording. So the sequence is:-

Record input - Playback input through compressor and re-record on to free tracks.

Should it not be a male stereo split into two male mono?

In my suggestion you record the "raw" signal on to two tracks. Play back those tracks via the Monitor Output to your compressor and record back in the VF160 on to two empty tracks. In this way the compressor is used post recording. So the sequence is:-

Record input - Playback input through compressor and re-record on to free tracks.

Thanks again, will give this a shot and type out the outcome here.

Thank you very much, will try this in the next few days. On another note, how does one record with the compressor running into the INSERT input as suggested in the manual? I have a Radio Shack Y cable which I hooked up to the In/Output of my Alesis 3630 comp and also ran a mic into the XLR input of the same channel. According to the manual this shouldve worked, but I got nothing. Id like to record the next track with compression on it already.

Don't really get what I did wrong.

has to be a stereo 1/4 split into two mono 1/4s.
What you're using will NOT work.
And you'll have to hook the two mono 1/4s into the right inputs. One of them will be the send and the other will be the return.

Hi folks:

I just bought 2 Fostex multitrackers from eBay. {VF 160} and a {VF 160 ex}. They are different colors and very similar if not identical. I also have an old red MX-8 with the worlds smallest flash card for memory.

I have to admit to being the complete nube when it comes to recording. I play the drums, bass guitar, and synths. I'm hoping that there are still some Fostex people around. I just wanted to say hello.

I was sadly on a limited schedule and was forced to record without my Alesis compressor on the INSERT. Can I send the two vocal tracks I have now through the comp via the AUX jack? I have the manual but for someone clueless its useless half the time. How do I get the two channels (7 & 15) to "get compressed l" via the AUX basically? I see the AUX output but how does the then-compressed signal post compressor return into the recorder? I dont need to record it down compressed just want to run the tracks through it for the mix down.

Thanks in advance. The manual is infuriating at points.

I was sadly on a limited schedule and was forced to record without my Alesis compressor on the INSERT. Can I send the two vocal tracks I have now through the comp via the AUX jack? I have the manual but for someone clueless its useless half the time. How do I get the two channels (7 & 15) to "get compressed l" via the AUX basically? I see the AUX output but how does the then-compressed signal post compressor return into the recorder? I dont need to record it down compressed just want to run the tracks through it for the mix down.

Thanks in advance. The manual is infuriating at points.

To clarify, I dont have any further open tracks...all 16 tracks are full. Unless this thing has virtual tracks I can bounce to?

Back