VF160: Editing out silence at beginning of a program.

Boris Molden

I recently did a live recording on my Fostex VF160. The recording is roughly 2 hours long and is recorded onto a single program.

What I'm trying to do is do a separate internal mix down of several individual songs from the recording and save each song as its own program.

I attempted to do this by fast-fowarding to the beginning of a song I wanted to mix down(from the original 2 hour live recording/program) and started the internal mixdown recording at that point. When I was finished, I attempted to play back the stereo recording(internal mix) and found that the program had about an hour of silence before the song started playing. In other words the song I wanted to record started at 439 on the original live program and the stereo mix didn't start playing music until it got to 439. 0-439 is nothing but silence.

I've studied the manual and can't figure out any way to edit out all this silence at the beginning of the program.

Anyone know how I can remove this silence, or another way to internally mix down a portion of an existing program without recording all that silence in the first place?

Hope this doesn't sound too confusing. All advise greatly appreciated.

To get rid of the silence, you can do a Clip Board in and out at the start and end of your track, then a punch in at the very beginning of the program. Then do a move. You will then have to do a punch in at the end of your track and a punch out at the end of the program and delete to remove the space that will now be at the end…

As for mixing down so there's no space at all, again - I think that's to do with Punch In and Out… I seem to remember it may mix down just between those points…? Don't quote me on that though :)

Go to the forum at vf16.com and search for "silence at beginning"---it was a common concern at one time.

Paj
8^)

When you do an internal mixdown, the VF-160ex creates a new file (Mix+Whatever you named the original) in two-track stereo on Tracks 1 & 2 of the new file. It automatically creates clipboard start and stop, corresponding to the positions in the original file. To hear the new file without a lead-in delay, just press Clipboard Start-Locate-Yes-Play. It will jump to the clip-in point, and that's where your music is. In other words, if you were at 35:14 in the original when you started your internal mixdown, the clip-in point in the new Mix+XX will be at 35:14, and that's where your music starts.

If you burn a CD from one or more Mix+XX files (the usual way to do it), each one will burn automatically from the clip-in point to the clip-out point (the end of your music).

So, to just listen to the new stereo file, Start Clipboard-Locate-Yes-Play.

The VF-160 is a good tool, but some concepts are a little weird, and the manual was translated from Japanese to English by way of Sanskrit...

Back