Tape to computer advice?

Noodles100

Please excuse this query but I'm a newbie here and a someone who used his Fostex X-28 very little...... about 20 years ago!

Is it a simple matter to use my X-28 to record onto my computer?

I have been told that it's simple to use the X-28 for this, but would it be as simple to use my original master tapes to download each of the 4 different tracks (forming each mastered recording)?

The basic questions are really.....
1) can it be done? and
2) Is it easy enuff to do?

An advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Apologies, but I really am new to much of this and you've already lost me.......... so for me, it aint that easy!

By 'an interface with 4 channels of input', do you mean a sound card on my computer with 4 inputs?

Is it easier to record one channel at a time from the Fostex to the computer?

Apologies, but I really am new to much of this and you've already lost me.......... so for me, it aint that easy!

By 'an interface with 4 channels of input', do you mean a sound card on my computer with 4 inputs?

Is it easier to record one channel at a time from the Fostex to the computer?

An audio interface is like a sound card but with features meant for serious recording. Some are actual PCI cards, some used Firewire and there are dozens that use USB 2.0.

You will want to transfer all four tracks in one pass so any speed variations are shared across all tracks and they stay perfectly synced. So you need an audio interface with four separate input channels. For this project the interface doesn't need mic preamps, but if you want to use it in the future for recording it might be good to get one with preamps.

Back