sync playback from computer to mr8

picker523

I don't want to sound like someone who hasn't read the manual because I have ,MANY TIMES,but I don't understand how to to sync up the the playback from the cakewalk back to the the mr 8 while I'm cutting new tracks on the mr 8. i've dumped tracks from the mr 8 individually to cakewalk , and they've been in sync but
since the mr8 doesn't have a midi sync in,and when you export it as a wave file you have to use all tracks on the mr 8, how can it sync it up???
I'll be the first to admit i don't understand the basics of recording but I have tried.I use midi tracks as my music bed and would like to dump each recorded track seperately onto the cakewalk thus being able to use the console view on my cakewalk program to mix down the music.anyone out there done this successfully?

picker523 said:
I don't want to sound like someone who hasn't read the manual because I have ,MANY TIMES,but I don't understand how to to sync up the the playback from the cakewalk back to the the mr 8 while I'm cutting new tracks on the mr 8. i've dumped tracks from the mr 8 individually to cakewalk , and they've been in sync but
since the mr8 doesn't have a midi sync in,and when you export it as a wave file you have to use all tracks on the mr 8, how can it sync it up???
I'll be the first to admit i don't understand the basics of recording but I have tried.I use midi tracks as my music bed and would like to dump each recorded track seperately onto the cakewalk thus being able to use the console view on my cakewalk program to mix down the music.anyone out there done this successfully?

i wish I could help but I am an idiot when it comes o MIDI. Sorry.

clif

Cakewalk uses MMT for sync to the recorder. MMT is a two way signal. I use Cakewalk synched to a Fostex D2424. I don't know of any other way of getting perfect sync. The recorder must have MIDI in and MIDI out for it to work.

MR8 can only be a Master in the MIDI synchronization.
Referring to the Owners Manual page 77, you can set MR8 MIDI sync out as either of MTC (MIDI Time Code) or CLK (MIDI Clock).

MTC is widely used on computer based sequencer, while MIDI CLK is more used on stand-alone sequencer or Drum Machines.

You need to set the sequencer or Drum Machine as slave, in order to synchronize it to the master MR8.

This is from the Fostex Website. MTC (MMT) is sent out to cakewalk so you can sync cakewalk to the MR8. However, the MR8 is the master. You should be able to dump your tracks to cakewalk and playback both cakewalk and the MR8 while adding a new track to the MR8. I think your problem will be how to dump your tracks so that they are in sync with the MR8. In other words, you have to dump your tracks to cakewalk and move them back and forth until they sync up to the MR8. It can be done, but it will be time consuming.

picker523 said:
I use midi tracks as my music bed and would like to dump each recorded track seperately onto the cakewalk thus being able to use the console view on my cakewalk program to mix down the music.anyone out there done this successfully?

MIDI is 16 tracks within the confines of the instruments originally recorded on. Once recorded in stereo to the MR-8, converted to wave and dumped to the PC, there is no way to separate the tracks to the original midi ones.

If you feel it is worth the effort, painstaking as it may be, you could send each track over one @ a time for desired editing, and line them back up..........at least this is what I've done with Cool Edit Pro, I don't know jack about cakewalk.

Hope this helps!
flat-9

How do you setup Cakewalk to receive MTC?

acorec said:
MR8 can only be a Master in the MIDI synchronization.
Referring to the Owners Manual page 77, you can set MR8 MIDI sync out as either of MTC (MIDI Time Code) or CLK (MIDI Clock).

[ . . . ]

This is from the Fostex Website. MTC (MMT) is sent out to cakewalk so you can sync cakewalk to the MR8. However, the MR8 is the master. You should be able to dump your tracks to cakewalk and playback both cakewalk and the MR8 while adding a new track to the MR8. I think your problem will be how to dump your tracks so that they are in sync with the MR8. In other words, you have to dump your tracks to cakewalk and move them back and forth until they sync up to the MR8. It can be done, but it will be time consuming.

In this scenario, Cakewalk is the slave, right? Or, at least, it is receiving the MTC/clock source. Can it do that?

I'm trying to so the same thing that the person who sent this is trying to do. I'm running Home Studio 2004, and I can't figure out how to set the clock source. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Nevermind

sbm3 said:
I'm trying to so the same thing that the person who sent this is trying to do. I'm running Home Studio 2004, and I can't figure out how to set the clock source.

I just found out from the Cakewalk Forum that Home Studio 2004 won't slave.

Great.

I have the MR-8 and Cakewalk Home Studio 2004 both wanting to be masters. Wonderful.

I read that Sonar will work for this.

sbm3 said:
I just found out from the Cakewalk Forum that Home Studio 2004 won't slave.

Great.

I have the MR-8 and Cakewalk Home Studio 2004 both wanting to be masters. Wonderful.

I read that Sonar will work for this.

Do you know if the Cakewalk Pro Studio can function as a slave ?

I would also like to sync my computer to my Fostex MR8.

CRGL, yes I think Cakewalk can sync to an external source.

I'm kinda confused by this thread - the advice is good, but I'm not sure exactly what Picker wanted to do (record MIDI tracks as audio?). One thing's for sure, MR8 can only be MIDI timing master, so it requires a sequencer which can be slaved.

Orc

carelessorc said:
CRGL, yes I think Cakewalk can sync to an external source.

I'm kinda confused by this thread - the advice is good, but I'm not sure exactly what Picker wanted to do (record MIDI tracks as audio?). One thing's for sure, MR8 can only be MIDI timing master, so it requires a sequencer which can be slaved.

Orc

Thanks CarelessOrc , I am reading about it right now. I'll post my findings.

To Use MIDI Sync with Cakewalk as the Slave

1. Configure the external MIDI device you want to use as the mas ter device to transmit MIDI Sync.

2. Configure external slave devices to receive MIDI Sync.

3. Choose Options-MIDI Devices to display the MIDI Ports dialog box.

4. Make sure that your MIDI interface is highlighted in the Input Ports list, and click OK.

5. Click [MIDI] in the Sync toolbar to use the MIDI Sync clock source.

From now on, Cakewalk starts playback and recording only after the appropriate message is received from the master device.

Tip: Make sure the status bar is displayed when using MIDI Sync. Otherwise, you will not be able to see the MIDI Sync status messages! To display the status bar, choose Options -Global and click the General tab, then check the Show Status Bar box.

addition:

Cakewalk as the Slave

When Cakewalk is slaved to an external MIDI device, the following changes occur:

· When you click the Play or Record button, a message (Waiting for MIDI Sync) is displayed in the status bar. When you start your external device, Cakewalk will follow.

· If you change the tempo using an external device, the SMPTE time code display in Cakewalk will be incorrect.

· Cakewalk will not transmit MIDI Start, Continue, Stop, and Clock messages.

· Digital audio playback is not supported.

( taken from Cakewalk Pro Studio 9 Help )

Last edited:
Back