Thread: Required PC hardware for FD-4 to CD-R setup

Thanks

Wink

Sign in to disable this ad
    Just got my FD-4 and 250Mb ZIP drive. Lots to learn before I get started. I want to burn CD's on my PC from the FD-4. Can anyone provide suggestions on soundcards, software, and/or techniques?

Thanks!!
    Bobbster

Thanks

Wink

I have a CD burner in my computer and a stock sound card. I intend to send the FD-4 signal to my sound card from the recorder outputs and save it as a wav file. I will then burn the CD. Since all I am doing is manipulating digital information, I think that will be fine.

Thanks

Wink

Thanks Bob.

I have been told that the sound card's line-in jack will work ok, but for digital I'll need a card with S/PDIF inputs. I am also wondering if additional software may be required to transfer the recording from the PC hard-drive to the CD-R.

Thanks

Unhappy

I'll start with the easiest thing first. My CD burner came with Adaptecs EZ CD creator software. It works fine since I have already made music CDs from my WAV files. Real simple, just point and click and go get some coffee (its slow). As far as the line-in jack is concerned...Maybe I don't know enough to hear the difference (there are others here with more experience), but I've input all my music so far, live guitar, vocal, sequenced DR-5 tracks into the line-in, and I think it sounds OK. I just think my multi-tracking software is a little noisy above 2 to 3 tracks. I might be able to improve that by shortening my cables. Its kind of a birdsnest.

Thanks

Unhappy

Thanks again Bob.

I am about half-way through the FD-4 manual, and getting anxious to put this thing to work. I'm sure there will be more to talk about later.

Thanks

Cool

Bob is right, any wave recording software will work.Most computers come with one and most cd burners come with adaptec or something like it. But , what I really wanted to tell you about is the Montego 2 plus sound card by Turtle Beach. It has a stereo spdif in and out (optical and coaxial). The best part is it's only $150.00!
    I searched all over the web for a long time and couldn't find a sound card with digital I/O for under a few hundred bucks. Most are geared towards people that record into their PC and have a lot of inputs. I just wanted the optical to master down to my cdr-burner from my FD-8. The card is plug and play and Turtle Beach is very reputable. Just go to their web site, they have an 800 number. It sounds great.

Thanks

Cool

Bob is right, any wave recording software will work.Most computers come with one and most cd burners come with adaptec or something like it. But , what I really wanted to tell you about is the Montego 2 plus sound card by Turtle Beach. It has a stereo spdif in and out (optical and coaxial). The best part is it's only $150.00!
    I searched all over the web for a long time and couldn't find a sound card with digital I/O for under a few hundred bucks. Most are geared towards people that record into their PC and have a lot of inputs. I just wanted the optical to master down to my cdr-burner from my FD-8. The card is plug and play and Turtle Beach is very reputable. Just go to their web site, they have an 800 number. It sounds great.

Thanks

Wink

Hey Tortoise, Last week, I ordered the very card you have recommended. I will take that as a sign that I have made the right decision. The price and features made it very appealing.

Thread Information