problem w/ X-15

ke4nu

TIA for reading this, I have an old x-15, and I never used very much, but got a problem when I insert a tape into it, I can't get it out, it won't ff or rewind nor play but it still seems to be engaged. I've taken to back off and gone thru with a screwdriver and push it back into place, but soon as I try to tape again the same thing happens...any ideas? other than throwing it away..Alan ke4nu@hotmail.com

At last! A technical question I actually know an answer to!
Sadly, I think it's bad news.
It sounds like the Erase head has gone. It happened to mine some years ago and, while I managed to get it fixed, the spare was real hard to find and the total cost was about $160 - twelve years ago.
If you do decide to bin it, can
I have the power unit?

Delso

Mine is doing the same thing except fast forward and rewind work but that's it :confused: :confused: It won't record or play (nothing moves) but it does rewind and fast forward. And if you push record and have a signal coming in (i.e. guitar or vocal) you can still hear it and change levels just as if it was actually recording. Any suggestions?

David

Sorry for having nothing to add, but I never thought I'd see X-15 posts. Stuff I recorded on that thing a dozen years ago sounds better than what I'm getting out of all this new fangled digital mumbo jumbo.

Mine still works - replace broken belts with ponytail rubber bands!

moptop66 said:
Mine is doing the same thing except fast forward and rewind work but that's it :confused: :confused: It won't record or play (nothing moves) but it does rewind and fast forward. And if you push record and have a signal coming in (i.e. guitar or vocal) you can still hear it and change levels just as if it was actually recording. Any suggestions?

David

Hi David -

Actually, mine did the same thing - can't recall if it was a broken belt, or the rollers and record head needed cleaning. I want to say cleaning - like it was very sensitive to the tape getting 'stuck' where it ran through the roller.

wow, who knew all these closet X-15 users! I used a belt from a cheap portable tape deck. I think a local music store acutally stocked that belt at one time.

I have the original busted one somewhere, but the one thing that kills that unit is the inability to shut the noise redux off. Not much high end as I rememgber, but I also used crap for mics. Ya know, that gives me another - another friggin idea to try, great, put it on the list - try my much better mic and pre w/ my older analog stuff....

I'll have to put up some old sample mp3s of that. anyone else have any?

junplugged said:
Not much high end as I rememgber, but I also used crap for mics.
I'll have to put up some old sample mp3s of that. anyone else have any?

Ah, but it had that sophisticated EQ system - every mix was basically turn bass down 2 and treble up 4...

I may post some as well - is there any fee associated with NWR?

NWR is great, free for 10mb when I joined up. It's so good I'm going to support it or add space or something and pay some, it's so cool and really needs our support, like this place.

So does anyone know where I can get the user manual for this thing? I really want it and I can't seem to find one anywhere.

I got the MR8 manual off of Fostex site before I got the unit, but I don't know if they have old manuals. Alesis had some old ones. But now we're talking 17 years ago or more. I'll look around, but I really doubt I can find mine either. Google it too if you haven't already.

Back