Need help with my Fostex DMT 8vl

8daze

Ok..i just received the dmt 8vl recorder of at ebay and unfortunately it doesn't come with an owner's manual. Well no problem, i'll just buy one soon enough. I'm just starting to get the gear i need as well (headphones, monitors, expansion mixer, mics, etc.). I'm fairly new at this home recording stuff and don't know much about it...yet. What i want to do is make my own cd. However, i'm not sure if i can do so with this particular model. It is a bit out dated and not like these newer workstation models that already have built in cd-r's and stuff. If i'm wrong, let me know. It does give cd quality sound with 16bit 44.1khz and all. So i know its cd capable. I understand that i'll need other components such as an ADAT or DAT to record and a cd-r recorder(internal or external) to burn my recording to cd as well. But isn't there a simpler way to do this. Do i really need a DAT? Can't i just burn my recordings straight through a burner with the dmt? Can i plug it straight to my computer and record the music there and then burn it with an internal cd-r drive? If so will i need an expansion card like SCSI. It doesn't come with one although it is an option. That is also an entirely different problem too because i can't find anywhere that sells one. I'm not too familiar with the outputs/inputs of this model. I did some research at the fostex web site but all of the information there seems foreign to me. I've done other research elsewhere about this particular model but i never really understand the answers correctly. Too much technical jargon and not enough lamens terms. I've learned alot from this site but i'm still a bit confused about the whole thing. I'm sure i'll get it someday. I was thinking of just selling it and getting one of the other newer models like the mr-8 or something. I read somewhere that it's cd-r compatible. I wonder if mine is as well.

Back