Need Help Converting 1hr show into Separate Tracks.

spanishgrass@cs

My band and I just finished a radio performance and were given a CD of said performance and now I want to break it down into multi-tracks. I know there was a thread recently about this procedure but I can't seem to locate it. Have any VF-160 users performed this before. If so how did you do it?

You can't do this. Once things are mixed, it's too late. It's like trying to take a cake and separate it back into flour, eggs and sugar.

Perhaps I could have phrased my inquiry differently. There are 12 songs on the 1hr show. I want to break it down so I can have 12 tracks on another CD, instead of 1 track of the entire 1hr show. How do I convert each song into a separate program in the VF160, then save all as a 12 song CD.

I am not sure about the VF160 - but on the MR8 I would mix everything down to tracks 7/8. I would then set Locate Points at the beginning and end of the first track and then convert this to a wav file using the locate points and name the wav file. Then set Locate points at the beginning and end of track 2 and repeat the process. Labour intensive but it will get then job done.

What format is the CD you were given?

If the CD you were given is not in WAV format, you're not going to be able to use your VF160, unless you pipe into it from the output of your CD player and re-record.

If the CD is mp3, you can use your computer and some mixing software (Audacity is free) to break out each song then you'll be able to burn them onto another CD with the burning software of your choice.

If it is a standard audio CD, you'll need something like 'Audiograbber' (still free I think) or another CD ripper to pull the audio off in a way to manipulate with your computer or VF160 (wav only)

Hope this helps!

:)

Can't?

Oh, Ye of little faith!

The easiest method would be to use your PC but if you insist on using the VF:

This simple, straight-forward "breakup" method will take a few minutes longer than it takes to play your entire CD.

(1) Stick the CD in the VF160 and Load it into the VF as a new program.

(2) Set Your sliders for CH1-2 and Master to 80 (0 dB).

(3) Go (cue) to the start of the first song.

(4) Enter Internal Mixdown Mode: Hold down the [Shift] key and press the [Direct Record] key. The Direct record key will flash red.

(5) Start recording (Hold down [Rec] and press [Play]}

(6) [Stop] at the end of the song. You now have a separate, CD-burnable version of the song.

(7) Go to the end of the mix (Hold down [Stop] and press [FFwd])

(8) Write down the time. Make a notation like: Song#1, PGM22 (i.e., the PGM # of the current mixdown), 2:32 (the time)

(9) Hit the [PGM SEL] key and return to your orignial, long program.

(10) Cue to the beginning of the next song (this would be the time that you wrote down in step #8)

(11) Repeat steps 5-11 until you've worked your way through the last individual song.

After you've extracted ALL of the individual songs, your ready to burn your CD of individual CD-DA tracks:

(A) Stick a blank CD-R in the VF's tray and close it.

(B) From the [Setup] menu, select SAVE PGM, IDE, CD-DA

(C) Hit [Yes] and jogwheel-locate your first (or next) song by Prg # (Remember that list you made in Step #8? Oh yeah, don't worry about the displayed time---the VF recalculated the song duration based on start and stop times). Hit [Yes] to set your selection.

(D) Jog down to the next track and repeat (C) as many times as necessary.

When all of your songs have been listed, burn the CD by holding down [Record] and pressing the [Yes] button.

Let us know how you made out!

Good Luck!
Paj
8^)

P.S.: After you do this a few times, you come up with ways and shortcuts to streamline the process for yourself. These might include setting location marks in the original program, quickly hitting a [Store], [Start] sequence before hitting [Stop], etc. Also, feel free to adjust the sliders higher than 80 (0dB) if you want to boost the gain on the mix---remembering, of course, that digital distortion for overpeaking is unforgiving and really, really bad sounding.

Last edited:
Conversion

Thanks Paj, I guess I owe you a tall cold one. Based on what little I know about my Vf160 I figured that that was the way to do it. I actually tried to go that route but was leaving out some of your steps. Its going to be a couple of days before I get on this but I will let you know how it comes out. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Or, you could try the easy way. On the VF160 you can divide a single audio track into separate tracks on a CD as it is burned, by using the event markers. Once this facility is switched on you import the CD to tracks 1 and 2 of a new program, set the event markers, one to the start of each track, then go straight to burn CD. It's in the manual supplement.

Orc

Thanks!

carelessorc said:
Or, you could try the easy way. On the VF160 you can divide a single audio track into separate tracks on a CD as it is burned, by using the event markers. Once this facility is switched on you import the CD to tracks 1 and 2 of a new program, set the event markers, one to the start of each track, then go straight to burn CD. It's in the manual supplement.

Orc

Thanks, carelessorc! Rereading the v2.0 supplement, starting at p17 ("event enabling") has enhanced the experience! That looks like the real way to go!

Thanks again!
Paj
8^)

carelessorc said:

Orc

carelessorc said:
Happy to help! I've only used it once, when I wanted to copy an album from vinyl to CD (remember LPs?). Worked fine.

Orc

Orc, I've been using this feature a lot and THANKS-THANKS-THANKS! It is a great time-saver and THE way to go to break apart a program AFTER you've done the Internal Mixdown (I haven't tried it on a otherwise-mastered Track 1&2 program). This feature was a major addition to v2 software upgrades! It's so simple to use once you've tried it, and breaks up long programs (a) during the burn, (b) doesn't increase the number of programs on your HD, like a bunch of ClipIn-ClipOut mixdowns would do, and (c) provides you with an additional set of saveable/loadable marker/locate points in the form of an event map based on your pre-CD-DA mixdown program (and it looks like there's other stuff to investigate here).

I record a lot of live sets (usually at least 6-8 per week). I wish I had started using this sooner. Thanks again!

Appreciatively,
Paj
8^)

Last edited:
I'd love to take the credit, but it's down to Fostex - a small facility, but really useful in your long-program situations. Funnily enough because I tend to do one song at a time - it's not a facility I use much, personally!

Orc

separate tracks

BTW, by loading the "separated" tracks back into the VF via the Load PGM "All" tracks option, you can restore: (a) the original long program with the event list used to break it up. You can then resave it as a long program, separated tracks, etc. The Load PGM "All" tracks option does this for any CD-DA CD.

Paj
8^)

More info on Event Enable CD-DA burns

During a CD-DA burn, Automatically separating a long mixdown into separate tracks by setting Event Points ([Store], [Shift]+[Locate]) and having Event Enable set to ON.

Some more info on this feature:

(A) If your Internal Mixdown started after the beginning of the song (i.e., the Clip In on the Mix-> Program is not set to 00:00:00:00:00), then the blank gap will be burned to the CD as a blank track when Event Enable is on. When Event Enable is on, The Clipboard IN setting does not determine the start of the CD-DA burn---the event map does, and Event00 is always there, always set to abs 00:00:00, and it cannot be edited or deleted.

(B) If you don't want a Track1 blank track on your CD, you have to remove the gap. Perform a COPY/MOVE/PASTE procedure to eliminate the opening gap of the song. Fortunately, you only have Tracks 1&2 to deal with, so the procedure takes place in a reasonable amount of time. ELIMINATE THE GAP BEFORE YOU START SETTING YOUR EVENT POINTS BECAUSE COPY/MOVE/PASTE DOES NOT ADJUST THE TIMINGS IN THE EVENT MAP!

Set your Event Points AFTER you erase the gap.

Later,
Paj
8^)

Back