MR-8 Quirk

wilko

Marking my territory
There is one things that annoys me slightly about the MR-8. I use the MR-8 for mixes and not a PC (although I intend to do that when I have more equipment). I do have a laptop and I use this a lot. I bounce and mix tracks 1 -6 to track 7/8 and then copy the mixed 6 tracks to the laptop and rename them to tracks 5/6 - copy them back to the MR-8 and delete all the other tracks. This frees up 4 tracks for the singer and more overdubs.

Anyway, this involves going to the laptop a lot and I put the MR-8 into USB mode. When I press "stop" the MR-8 then defaults to the first song on the menu and not necessarily the song that I was working on. Occasionally, I have forgotton to check and immeidately started recording the next track only to find that I am recording on the wrong song. Very frustrating. It should default back to the song from which you came.

On the other hand it is so useful to write songs on and it is red so I forgive it.

That little red whore will hold a special place in my heart, much like my kramer guitar, for as long as I continue to suck air.

As much as I tend to complain about it, it's been a very good learning tool, that I still can't honestly say I've learned everything I could from.

Delta 1010 has 24 bit...and I WILL paint it RED!

wilko said:
There is one things that annoys me slightly about the MR-8. I use the MR-8 for mixes and not a PC (although I intend to do that when I have more equipment). I do have a laptop and I use this a lot. I bounce and mix tracks 1 -6 to track 7/8 and then copy the mixed 6 tracks to the laptop and rename them to tracks 5/6 - copy them back to the MR-8 and delete all the other tracks. This frees up 4 tracks for the singer and more overdubs.

Anyway, this involves going to the laptop a lot and I put the MR-8 into USB mode. When I press "stop" the MR-8 then defaults to the first song on the menu and not necessarily the song that I was working on. Occasionally, I have forgotton to check and immeidately started recording the next track only to find that I am recording on the wrong song. Very frustrating. It should default back to the song from which you came.

On the other hand it is so useful to write songs on and it is red so I forgive it.
Yeah, that's one of the reasons that I do things the way I do, with taking all the tracks to pc. I also only work on one song at a time on the CF card. I don't like having to search through menus, so...

That little 'feature' caught me a couple of times too when I was recording sound effects for the local theater...
I'm like Rokket as I learned a while back to just work one song at a time as to alleviate the menu navigation and to sidestep it defaulting back to the first song.

It's still a great little tool, in fact I just used it this weekend to record a guy with 6 songs on his acoustic... Put an SM57 just behind his sound hole (old 70's Martin he got from his dad... suhWEEET sound) and an SM58 for his vox... Into the Yamaha MG10/2 and out to the LRB ("Lil' Red Bitch") :p

I sent him home with a CD that he wouldn't stop raving about... (I think this was his first recording).

:rolleyes:

Back